Chapter 9: No more running

Tears on my face I can't take it
If lonely is a taste then it's all that I'm tasting
Do you hear my cry?
I cry, oh

Can you hold me?
Can you hold me in your arms?

Isaac's POV

It all happened too fast. One minute, we were all cheering at Marco's words about the new beginnings and hope this pack would bring, and the next thing we heard was Jacob screaming, "Gun." Hell broke loose after that. My initial instinct was to protect Lexi, so without too much thinking, I grabbed her and tossed her into a nearby closet. Only saying, "Stay safe in here!" and locking the door. After that, I joined the fight, and even though it didn't last too long, the battle was intense.

Most of the bad guys were in bad shape, and some of us were hurt, but the worst was seeing Marco so desperate over Sapphire's unconscious body. She looked so pale, it brought a sense of déjà vu, making the Allison scene run in my mind. I was still entranced when I heard Lexi's voice yelling at Marco, "Kiss her, you idiot. Let her feel your feelings for her. I heard you saying it, so don't be shy now. Let her know she is your second-chance mate."

My girl still believes in the true love kiss and the fairy tale happy endings, but then I notice her eyes look hurt and suddenly realize I never opened the closet door. Once again, I left her behind for pack business. This is not going to end well. I am such an idiot!

++++++

Once I heard the first gunshot, I didn't have much time to react because, in typical Isaac style, he had come to rescue poor old weak me and shoved me into a dark closet. I know he probably didn't mean it, but it still hurt that he didn't even stop to think about how much I hate the dark. There is where all my demons hide and come to play. Therapy has helped a lot, but that doesn't mean it never gets triggered, especially after hearing gunshots and fighting outside of the door where I am trapped.

It didn't help that when Phil tore the door open to let me out, I encountered the scene of Sapphire almost dead in Marco's arms. And the nail on the coffin was hearing a she-wolf behind me commenting to her friend, "See, that one is a true strong wolf, not like the bad human copy that Isaac must protect. I could be a better mate for that werewolf than his pathetic girl!"

My brain started to send the warning signal, "Run, getaway, escape," but I needed to control myself. I know these are intrusive thoughts, and I need to ground myself. The attention was focused on Sapphire, so I headed to the back door and outside to breathe better. Mauro and Danny came after me to check if I was OK. I gave them a small, fake smile and told them I couldn't witness the Sapphire scene. They told me she had opened her eyes, and the doctor was moving her to a nearby clinic. At least that worked out.

I suddenly feel two strong arms wrapping around me from behind and Isaac's trembling voice in my ear, "I need you tonight; please sleep with me. Too many images in my brain!"

He has his battles and emotional scars; I can't bother him with my stupid thoughts. I turn around and hug him, hiding my face in his chest. I don't want him to read into my eyes because he will notice I am hurt. It kills me to know that Isaac loves me, but I don't think we can make this work.

We are good when we are alone in our bubble, but in real life, we are not sustainable. We are too different, and I will get him hurt if he needs to stop and "save me" whenever there is an attack on the pack.

So, I held his hand without opening up and went to his room. We just cuddle; we haven't tried anything sexual since we got back together, and tonight is not the right time to even think about it. We are both lost in our thoughts, trying to reign in our emotions.