Chapter 2: Mr. Chocolate Milkshake

If you ever need a helping hand

I'll be there on the double

Just as fast as I can

Don't you know that there

Ain't no mountain high enough

Ain't no valley low enough

Ain't no river wide enough

I don't have school friends; I avoid talking with people. Danny is my only friend there because he is the most amazing and humble person I have met. Plus, he is the only one who didn't make fun of me when I arrived in this town as a runaway, and some stupid girls decided to make a video of me sleeping in the park viral. They called me names and said I smelled funny.

Like any school gossip, their taunting slowed when they found someone else to torture. Their next victim was a poor girl with epilepsy who had a seizure and peed her pants. 

These people are a**holes, and I can't deal with them. Since then, I have hidden from public view and blended with the crowd.

I am not a homeless runaway anymore. Three years ago, Sheriff Stilinski found me bleeding to death in a dark bathroom stall after being stabbed by a deranged lady. That's how my life as a runaway came to an end.

Once Stilinski found me and realized I was around his kid's age, he took pity on me. He worked out an arrangement between Jessi, the owner of the diner I work at, and my mother so I could have a safe place to live. I owe him and Jessi who I am today.

The kitchen crew is fantastic. The main cook is Pacey, an older guy who is quick with sarcastic remarks. Then there are two guys in their early twenties, Tom and Manny. They are all good friends and super protective of me.

The crew in the diner is my family, and here, I am myself and enjoy people; as long as they are no high school students, I try to avoid those tables like the plague.

There are exceptions, though. Like "Mr. Chocolate Milkshake."

This guy works on the ice-skating rink and comes here at least once a week

This guy works on the ice-skating rink and comes here at least once a week. No matter what he orders, he always requests an extra-large chocolate milkshake. 

He is very quiet but has the gentlest smile. 

I see him sometimes in school, always alone, like me. So here in the diner, I offer him my friendship.

One night I was goofing around with the team as the diner was practically empty, with only "Mr. Cholate Milkshake" sitting at one table. Jessica played some music, and I started lip-singing!

"C'mon Boyd. Don't be a party pooper; join me on this one".

"There is no way you will make me sing with you, Nichols."

"Are you sure? What about if I offer you a rain check for three free Xtra large shakes to be used this month??"

"Make it six, and we are in business."

"Deal!" I replied with the biggest smile.

We sang Ain't no mountain high enough, and when we were done, the whole kitchen crew was cheering. They know I hate social media, so they all are nice enough not to record us being silly.

Boyd thanked me for a great time while hugging me. He is so big that I think that's how a bear hug should really feel like. As he was leaving, Isaac came in.

"You know Boyd?"

"Well, he is one my regular customers, so yeah, he gets special treatment, including lip sync shows and a friendly Lexi, instead of the "don't talk to me-Alexandra" from school," I said, winking at him.

From there on, Isaac stopped by the diner pretty much every night after his graveyard shift. Sometimes he came as a patron to order something to eat. Other times he showed up after closing battered and looking for help with his wounds.

I have tried to ask him to confide in me what is happening so I can help, but he always avoids my questions, and I don't want to pry. At least I am making sure he knows it is safe to come here if he needs to.

He also mentioned he was struggling in Harris' class, so I offered him my notes.

Danny, Boyd, and Isaac are the only ones who wave at me in school if we see each other there. However, that is not that common because I usually stay out of people's view; after all, I take my wallflower role seriously.

+++++++++

Sundays are my day off, so I organize my week and catch up with everything. I do my laundry and schoolwork, go for a run, play my violin, or work on my music remixes. And occasionally, I use Sunday sunsets to go and visit my Nanna.

Nanna was my paternal grandmother, and coming to play the violin by her gravestone is my way of honoring her. She was widowed early, and my dad, her only child, was the light of her life. My parents were high school sweethearts in Beacon Hills High School; during senior year, my dad died in a motorcycle accident, and my mom found out she was pregnant two weeks later. I know the story well, she was not planning to continue with the pregnancy, but my Nanna begged her to keep the only thing she had left of her son.

For the first seven years of my life, my Nanna loved and protected me, while my mother continued her life like she did not have a kid. Nanna was the one who tucked me into bed, read me stories, and talked to me about the importance of taking pride in one's work. She was amazing.

Unfortunately, she had a massive heart attack while sleeping. I was in second grade, and I was the one who found her in her unlit bedroom.

As I walked out of the cemetery, I heard loud arguing and realized that it was Isaac with an older man, who I assumed was his father, talking by one of the graves. Isaac was looking down while the jerk was screaming at him.

I felt terrible for Isaac, so I purposely walked close enough so the guy could see that someone was witnessing the scene. He shut up, grabbed his shovel, and kept walking towards another cemetery area. 

I don't like that guy, and I feel he is the one causing Isaac's injuries.