Chapter 10: Trust

For now the day bleeds,

into nightfall and you're not here, to get me through it all

I let my guard down and then you pulled the rug

I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved

Isaac's POV

Stabbed lung

Frustration

Collapsed lung

Surprised

Scar tissue

Rage

Prong to pneumonia

Helpless

Permanent breathing difficulties

Powerless

While the doctor talked, I only grasped a few of his words. My brain went 1,000 miles per minute, and I couldn't organize my thoughts. Alexandra's run this time brought other types of consequences.

The time she ended up by the edge of the cliff was also a cold, rainy night. Back then, she ended up with pneumonia, which weakened her already compromised lungs after the stabbing she got when she was homeless.

I was utterly oblivious to all this information as I was not around when she recovered from that traumatizing night. Another sin to add to my list of offenses against my angel. I am not only undeserving of her attention and love, but I bring her danger.

All those close to me end up dead. I need to let Lexi go.

The doctors decided to sedate her to ease the breathing. She looks pale, but aside from that, it is like looking at Sleeping Beauty, an angel resting.

I want to hug and kiss her, but I can only hold her hand and draw circles with my thumb, asking her to please get better soon. It has been three days since that night. She spent her birthday fighting for life.

Mauro, Louis, and Phil are here with me, while the others have come and gone, constantly checking what they can do.

Sapphire and Maria already said they had talked with Vanessa and the other unmated she-wolves and clarified the consequences of acting on their instincts.

For my part, I will avoid those ladies as the pest if I decide to live with the pack.

"Hey man, how is she doing? Have you eaten anything today?" said Danny when he arrived.

"No changes on her status, and I am not even hungry, honestly."

"This is a serious déjà vu moment. I had this conversation with Lexi when you were recovering from the electrocution. She would never leave your side, not even to eat, unless she had job shifts or school.

I guess that is why it hurt her so much when she went to see you, realized you had left, and went straight to Allison. She was devastated."

"Danny, I am unsure if I want to hear this now. I already feel the best course of action is not to be selfish and disappear from Lexi's life."

"What in the world are you talking about? You two are driving me crazy with the recurring pulling away from each other. The only constant between you two is how much you love each other.

You are idiots who haven't figured out how to make your love work and trust the feelings you have. But I am sure that your love is real. If you give up, not only will you destroy Lexi's heart, but you will lose her for sure this time."