Chapter Twenty-Three

While Diana struggles with her hair, the guests celebrating Liam's two month engagement are arriving. Her looser braided hairstyles have always been inconsistent, always appearing to be too loose or too tight. Sometimes when she does double braids, one of the braids is shaped differently and she has to redo them at least three times.

She stares in the mirror at her four braids while she secures them into a high ponytail. The bottom half of her white hair flows downward in small spirals, reaching to a few inches beneath her shoulders. Diana spends a full minute scrutinizing the small dutch braids on her head, uncertain that they look even.

Once she finds herself pleased with her look, she grabs her gold chain earrings.

"God, don't you look exquisite," someone claims from behind her.

She spins around quickly, her eyes glowing white as a threat. Anton stands behind her with a seductive smile on his face. His green eyes intimately study her figure. It takes him a while to look back up at her face, his eyes slowly working up her dress.

Diana is willing to admit that her dress is far more scandalous than what is appropriate for this event. It's covered in sparkling, black, thorny vines that barely cover her breasts. The vines make up her sleeves to reach her shoulders, fading out just before her collar bone. The vines slowly fade into her black skirt, making it appear as though they are growing out of it.

Since her mere presence is going to create scrutiny amongst the guests, Diana figured she should truly give them something to talk about.

Returning to her task, Diana looks back at herself in the mirror. "I have no interest in talking to you."

She can see him mockingly place a hand over his heart in the mirror. "Oh, Diana, how you wound me." He clicks his tongue while shaking his head. "And to think, I came all the way to this party to see you." A grimace forms on his face. "Well, in part to see you."

Quickly turning back to face him, Diana studies him. She cannot sense his energy in the room, which means that he is nothing more than an illusion. He's communicating with her through whatever bond they have with one another.

Diana had spelled the palace so that she is the only sorcerer able to teleport inside. With all of the guards stationed everywhere, Anton does not stand a chance at getting inside. He's only bluffing to make her panic.

"You're lying," she calls out.

The sorcerer shrugs. "I am not, but you do not need to believe me." His footsteps are loud while he approaches her. "My plan has already been enacted regardless."

He is trying to get inside of her head. That was the entire purpose of creating this bond with her. Anton wants to fill Diana with doubt. He wants to weaken her so that she does not know what is true.

Struggling to get her other earring in her ear, Diana glares at Anton. "Oh? And what is this magnificent plan of yours?"

His lips twitch from amusement. He looks around her bedroom, his gaze settling upon the small mattress she has for Polaris at the foot of her bed. Something similar to jealousy flashes through his eyes before he looks back at her. "What is that mattress for?"

"Answer my question," she demands.

Sighing, Anton shakes his head. "I slipped elutrafruit into the wine." He wanders over to the curtains that Polaris ruined with his sharp teeth just the other week. The sorcerer kneels down to study the details. "It was in a gold bottle. One that is going to be served to the royal family."

Diana scoffs. "Elutrafruit is only harmful to sorcerers."

Anton lazily looks over his shoulder at the woman. His hair slips over his forehead so that it is just in front of his eyes. "Have you not noticed the changes in Prince Liam? The gloves? The strange shift in his energy?" He quirks an eyebrow at the sorceress. "Certainly he has slipped up in front of you."