9 Let me try

Damian POV

When I drove Blair home it was quiet in the car. But it was in no way an uncomfortable silence between us. The only thing that could be heard was the wind and the light rain hitting the windshield.

Blair looked out the window as she sighed deeply and exhausted. I knew that she was not only physically but especially emotionally drained. That's why it surprised me that when I offered her a ride home, she agreed without a second thought.

A few minutes later, I parked the car in front of her building. I quickly got out and walked around the car to be able to open the door for her. But Blair had already gotten out. She looked up at me and the sadness in her eyes was almost unbearable.

I would have loved to take this pain away from her. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible. The only thing that would help now was probably time.

Much to my surprise, she grabbed my hand and together we made our way to her apartment. Nothing had changed. Everything was still exactly as I remembered it.

Blair unlocked her apartment door. She entered and I followed her, still in silence. Her mind seemed to be somewhere else. Not that I could blame her.

She took off her shoes before plopping down on the couch. Her eyes wandered over the coffee table in front of her. She quickly straightened up and slid a folder that was on top of it under a couple of her illustrated books that she had on the table as usual.

"Can I ask you something, Damian?" she said then.

"Of course." I replied as I also took off my shoes and sat down next to her.

"What did you want to talk to me about last week?" she asked softly.

"Oh... I think now is not the right time to talk about it. Maybe it's better if we talk about it later," I avoided her question.

"Come on... I could really use the distraction." she encouraged me when she finally looked at me and gave me a small smile.

But it was a sad smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Alright... Listen... Like I said, I want to apologize to you for my behavior. I spent a lot of time thinking about everything and I realized that I made a lot of mistakes with you. It was never my intention to change you. At least not consciously. I guess you could say that I sabotaged our relationship," I explained to her.

"Why would you do that? You knew what I wanted from the start...you could have broken up with me right then and there!" retorted Blair.

"Blair... I... I don't know... I think... maybe... I was just scared," I stammered.

"Scared of what? Did I maybe push you or something? Am I too much?" she asked thoughtfully.

"God no. You're just right the way you are. And I wanted to ask you for a second chance. Can you imagine giving us another try?" I wanted to know as I carefully took her hand in mine.

"Damian... that's... that's not so easy.... After everything that has happened? I... I don't think I'm ready to forgive you for that. No matter how much you still mean to me. Because in fact, we want different things. And I can't and won't expect you to bend over backwards for me. Nothing has changed," Blair replied.

"How do you know that? How do you know that you're not the reason I can imagine it? I've been a fucking coward, Blair. Let me try," I said then.

I saw and heard her take a deep breath as she considered. The wheels in her head were turning as she chewed nervously on her lower lip.

"I don't know if it's a good idea.... I already have plans to get what I want and you won't like that." she replied after a while.

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know.

"It doesn't matter right now. Give me one good reason why I should give you another chance, D." replied Blair.

"Because you said you loved me.... If you still do, even if it's just a little spark.... Then let me try." I explained to her.

She closed her eyes. Almost as if she didn't want to see mine at that moment.

"Okay... one date. And we'll see how it goes. Don't make me regret it, Damian. My heart's not strong enough." she finally whispered.

"You won't regret it, baby. I promise." I replied as I lifted her hand to press a kiss to it.