Chapter 11

1989

"Have I told you how much I love you?" asked Robin, smoothing down her shirt. "I mean, really, like I love you the most. You letting me wear pants to be your maid of honor is the greatest thing ever. I love you so much but I hate bridesmaids dresses. I was never so relieved as when Steve told me Tina didn't want a wedding party."

Robin looked absolutely stunning in her red flowy pants and black, long sleeved top. When Dani had asked her to be her maid of honor, she'd immediately let her know that she could wear anything she felt comfortable in, just in those colors. Her and Eddie knew they didn't want some big wedding party, but she couldn't imagine doing this without her. Having Robin beside her was what really mattered. She didn't care less what she was wearing while doing it.

"Considering I am getting married in the woods and the man I am marrying and his best man are wearing black jeans, it's not exactly black tie attire," Dani laughed.

"Mommy princess!"

Dani spun around just as Lyric plowed into her legs, almost knocking her over. She placed a hand on the wall to steady herself, lifting her two and a half year old daughter into her arms. She was in a red dress that Dani's mom had made herself from some beautiful fabric they'd found at the craft store downtown. Lyric was going to be the most beautiful little flower girl. Dani's mom, Mary, came rushing through the trees, Lyric's basket of black and red rose petals draped over her arm. 

"I'm so sorry

"I'm so sorry. I tried to tell her she needed to stay with me until it started but she was not having it. She's just so excited and couldn't wait to see Mommy all pretty in her dress."

"It's no big deal. We're all ready anyway." She pressed her nose gently against her daughter's. "Are you ready baby girl?"

"See Daddy?" asked Lyric.

"Yes, we are going to see Daddy. He's waiting for you to come down the aisle to him. You're going to drop your flowers all over the path and then run right to Daddy who is going to be overwhelmed with how beautiful you are."

"Wyric princess too."

"You sure are. You are the prettiest princess I have ever seen."

"Come on, little one," Mary urged, taking her hand as Dani set her back down on the ground. "We have to get you in your spot. You have to walk down before mommy does."

"Wyric...Aunt Wobin...Mommy..."

"That's right. Lyric walks first, then Aunt Robin, and then Mommy," her grandmother assured, offering her daughter a wink as she led Lyric away.

Dani inhaled slowly, gripping her friend's hand tightly. Robin grinned, squeezing. They both made their way through the trees next to Lover's Lake to find Uncle Wayne waiting for them, wearing his best dress shirt with his cleanest jeans.

"Are you ready kiddo?" he asked, offering his arm.

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life," answered Dani, winding her arm through his.