Chapter 24

1992

Dani pulled in the drive after work, tired but excited. Uncle Wayne had the kids for the night so her and Eddie could have their monthly date night. Dani lived for these, one night a month that was just the two of them. No babies crying, no kids asking for eighty million things, no interruptions. They'd missed a few right after Jett was born but they'd picked them back up again once he was sleeping through the night and started eating solids. Eddie always planned something fun even if they just stayed home and she always looked forward to seeing what he would come up with. And he'd told her tonight was extra special because it was her birthday.

She made her way onto the porch, opening the front door and froze. Was that jazz music she was hearing? That was definitely a sound she'd never heard coming from her own house before. Dani kicked her shoes off, sliding them on the mat by the door and set her purse on the table, moving into the kitchen.

"Bonjour, mademoiselle," Eddie announced, bowing forward, arms sweeping out grandly, his bonjour sounding more like bonjor. "Welcome to the city of Paris, the city of love." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

Damn, he looked good. He had a black button down shirt that was pushed up to his elbows paired with black jeans, his hair pulled back into a bun. He must have done that just for her because he knew that was her weakness. His hair in a bun drove her insane. The kitchen table was covered in a checkered tablecloth, a platter of cheese and salami sitting in the middle with a bowl of grapes next to it. Two glasses of red wine sat on either side.

"What is this?" Dani asked with amusement.

"This is a night in the most romantic city in the world, my love," Eddie replied, sweeping his arm out around him. "We have a cheese platter to start and some red wine, it's fresh from the box, great vintage. The cardboard gives it a real papery finish."

Dani giggled as Eddie came around, pulling her chair out for her before he sat down across from her. She grabbed a piece of cheese and paired it with salami before taking a bite.

"And, look at the stunning view we have," Eddie added, gesturing to the side of them.

Dani glanced over to see a painting on the fridge. It looked like a window with the Eiffel tower in the background, oranges and yellows depicting a sunset, clearly her daughter's work. It was actually quite good. Her artistic skills had only gotten more impressive. Lyric spent hours at the table, painting and drawing. Dani propped her elbow on the table, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

"I get to spend my birthday in Paris? Lucky me. You are so damn wonderful, you know that?"

Eddie grinned, "Of course I do, but I love to hear you say it, anyway." He shrugged. "I wanted to do something extra special for your birthday and I know you've always wanted to go to Europe. You've mentioned Paris quite a few times so I tried to figure out how I could bring Paris to you. And this is just the appetizer. We have dinner coming up."

"