Chapter 4: The Death of Maria Robotnik

San Francisco, CA Golden Gate Bridge 5:45 PM

A sunset glow hung on the golden bridge's stone wall that stretched out over the bay in front of them; it bathed everything with a warm amber tint. Below lay darkening waters below as the sun sank further, leaving orange and pink streaks across the sky. It made Shadow look strangely out of place among the city's lights; the sound of sirens and police cars blaring off to his right had barely even reached them, making the atmosphere eerily silent.

"Hmph, how pathetic," Shadow drawled, folding his arms in front of him.

*Flashback*

50 years ago in Space Colony ARK

"Find them before they escape!" said the military running through the space capsule's corridors.

The hedgehog and a human girl were running down the corridor, pursued by several G.U.N. soldiers who were trying to stop them from getting to their spaceship. A young, blonde-haired girl in a blue dress named Maria was holding Shadow's hand firmly, her eyes wide with fear. She was panting through from running and Shadow's fur was plastered with sweat, but they kept going at full speed. They could hear gunfire ringing around them and people yelling. The soldiers fired again, narrowly missing them, then stopped.

"Hurry! We have to run faster! We're gonna if-" Maria gasped as she tripped but Shadow tightened his grip on her. Maria stood up painfully. "Don't leave me behind-" she sobbed, gripping Shadow tighter as the sound of shooting continued.

"Shit," Shadow whispered under his breath. He turned on his heel and began to take his fighting stance, looking ready to fight the enemy. Maria looked at him with wide eyes and clasped her hands together. Her mouth moved wordlessly, forming an 'o', but no sound came out. The three soldiers approached Shadow and Maria cautiously, the ebony hedgehog leaped forward as one soldier tried to fire, and kicked him in the face before punching the second one. Shadow used Chaos Spear on the third soldier, who fell to the floor unconscious.

Shadow landed lightly on the ground, looking back at Maria to see her still standing, staring at him with wide eyes. Shadow walked towards her. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly. She slowly nodded. "Good. Let's move."

Maria wiped the tears from her face. Shadow led her along the passage until they entered the main control room. There was a console with various controls and levers attached to it that seemed to be controlling the entire operation of the ship. Maria gasped in surprise at all the buttons and switches, pointing at each one, and asking questions.

Shadow just rolled his eyes in response. "Just follow my lead,"

"In here!" shouted Shadow grabbing his friend by the wrist, and pulling her along behind him as they ran faster than she could run. Finally, the hallway ended at the metal door, which opened just enough for Shadow to shove Maria inside. He slammed it shut, locking it.

Shadow quickly took in Maria's state; she was breathing heavily and sweating profusely, her skin pale and clammy. Shadow grabbed a handful of tissue to wipe away her sweat, noticing how much smaller her hands were compared to his own now. "Here," he offered and held out the white wad of tissues. "Use these to clean your face, get rid of any sweat." Maria nodded numbly, taking the tissues and wiping her face. Shadow looked around the room. There were screens everywhere showing images of the inside of the spacecraft, showing where the intruders are located and the ship's systems being controlled.

Shadow booted up the computer, and the screens suddenly lit up with holographic maps with symbols and numbers that Shadow recognized as schematics of the inside of the craft, like the inside of the cockpit. The red dot representing Earth appeared on one screen, the green dots around it moving around rapidly indicating that some of the crew members are attempting to escape, while black dots marked places that weren't currently occupied by the invaders.