Ch 22: The Sorrow of Sonic's Heart

Chapter 22: The Sorrow of Sonic's Heart

The next day, they were sent back to Earth safely, the citizen were cheering on them, throwing confetti in their faces and the media had gone wild. Even some press members questioned their involvement with the war and how it would affect relations between humans and alien races. As if this was not bad enough, Sonic had a great time with the reporters before returning to his home in San Francisco.

When the sun had set, Sonic and the others separated and went to their homes, Sonic went to his house, closed the door behind him, and sighed sadly. He went upstairs to the bathroom, switched the light on, and turned on the shower. He felt the temperate warmth run down his hand if it was hot enough. He then took off all his gloves and shoes, threw them into the laundry basket, and jumped in the shower. The water ran down to his body, soothing him like a warm caress. He closed his eyes and let himself enjoy the feeling. Sonic knew he would have to get dressed again soon. Sonic opened his eyes in sadness and leaned his head against the cool wall. He missed Shadow already. He wanted to see his lover's face as much as his own, but even more than that, he needed him by his side right now. It wasn't so bad being away from ARK, he had always liked being free to fly around whenever he wanted, he just wished Shadow could be there too. But Shadow was dead. After showering, Sonic out of the shower and brushed his teeth for a second time, he put on his pajamas. He laid down and got comfortable under the covers. Sonic didn't know if he could sleep for tonight. He stared at the ceiling until he finally drifted off into a deep slumber, filled with dreams of Shadow. The night passed without any disturbances.

The next morning, the sun was rising to the sky, and the birds were chirping, enjoying their beautiful new morning. Sonic groaned as he opened his eyes groggily, he rolled over and rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. The clock next to him said it was 7 a.m. Sonic got out of his bed, walked to his window, and opened the curtain. He gazed out, the scenery was lovely and peaceful. Sonic frowned. It was a shame that Shadow couldn't be here with him. Sonic knew he wasn't going to be able to go through this day alone, not anymore.

'Shadow isn't there anymore. Why am I still thinking about him?' Sonic thought. 'Because he will never come back.'

He walked to his nightstand and opened the drawer, he took out Shadow's Inhibitor Ring that he kept for a whole time. A gold glow emanated from the ring and it shimmered in the sunlight. Sonic sighed softly as he stroked the ring with his finger.

"I wish you were here, Shadow," he whispered. Sonic frowned slightly. His mind began to wander to thoughts about their first meeting when he met Shadow, their time fighting each other, falling in love with each other, fighting against the FInal Hazard. And Shadow sacrificed himself for him. Sonic closed his eyes and frowned. "I hope you can see me today," whispered Sonic.

He put the ring back in the drawer and closed it. He went downstairs to the kitchen to make some cereal. He walked to the living room, sat on a couch, and turned on a TV to watch MTV. He was watching Ridiculousness while eating his cereal. After he finished his breakfast, he went to the kitchen to rinse the bowl out and put it in the dishwasher. He then went back to the living room and MTV for the next show. He watched Jersey Shore, which started playing after ten minutes. Sonic held the pillow to his torso and continued watching the program while he waited for it to end. As his ring rang, he picked up his iPhone 15 Pro Max, and this ID caller was Amy Rose. Sonic put the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hi, Sonic!" chirped Amy.

"Eh, hey, Amy," he replied awkwardly. There was a pause. "What's up?" he asked.