Chapter 10: You Have 24 Hours to Live

Central City 2:30

Sonic, Tails, and Amy were inside the Starbucks, enjoying a little afternoon treat while they discussed what was to be done about the new Robotnik situation. Amy ordered 3 frappuccinos while Sonic and Tails were at the table doing laptop research.

Tails opened the browser on his computer and logged in to the news site. He typed the search bar called "Project Shadow" into the search box and found looking at a page filled with information on a science project that he had been working on for years.

"Here it is. Project Shadow," said Tails. Sonic glanced at Tails' laptop and noticed that there was a picture of Shadow on the screen. The image was taken from behind with some sort of dark shadow, and it looked like Shadow inside the test tube. Sonic's eyes widened as he saw what appeared to be the outline of Shadow's body inside the tank.

"So that's Shadow?" puzzled Sonic.

"Yeah, that's Shadow," replied Tails. "It says here he's being experimented on in the lab base. It says that their scientists are testing out some biological material. And according to this article, the lab is currently using an experimental substance called Project Shadow, using DNA test results from some animals."

Sonic thought hard. "Well, you know what I think? I think that Shadow is not so different from us after all. Do you know he was created?"

Tails nodded. "Yeah, they did some research with him before he became a villain. A scientist named Professor Gerald Robotnik came up with the formula to create him and he used it in his experiments on Shadow. That's why he got sent to live on the moon instead of living in our world. It is called Space Colony ARK."

"Gerald Robotnik?! Is he related to Eggman?" asked Sonic.

Tails nodded again. "Yep. That's how Shadow came to be in Space Colony ARK. They used Shadow to develop the life form we will fight against now. If we don't find out who or what that creature is soon, then we'll have to go after them ourselves."

"Hey, guys," Amy spoke up suddenly, bringing them both back to reality. She carried the tray of 3 frappucinos towards the table. "Here ya go, boys. Three of us have our frappes." She set one in front of each of them, a blue raspberry frappe for Sonic, a chocolate frappe for Tails, and a pink cotton candy frappe for Amy. Then she took her seat next to them.

"Thanks, Ames," replied Tails. He pulled the straw out of his straw and took a sip of the drink. He sighed contentedly as he enjoyed the cool refreshing liquid on his tongue. He closed his eyes for a moment to savor the taste.

"So, what are you guys searching for?" asked Amy as she grabbed a cotton candy-flavored frappe off the tray and took a long sip of it.

"We're just trying to figure out what this experiment is supposed to do, but so far nothing has turned up," said Sonic. He picked up his own straw and took a small sip of his drink.

"Maybe it has something to do with his personality," suggested Tails. "The scientists say that they are experimenting with some kind of genetically enhanced DNA."

"Oh, so you think that Shadow is a clone created by someone else?" asked Amy.

Amy looked over at Sonic and shook her head. "No, I don't think so. This Shadow seems completely different from anyone else. There may be another reason why he's so different. He was created by Prof. Gerald Robotnik, just like in the article."

"Robotnik? Does that mean he's related to Eggman?" asked Amy.

"Probably his grandfather," Tails said. "It happened 50 years ago when Gerald Robotnik came up with the idea for creating Shadow."