Ch. 23 Shadow's Return

Chapter 23: Shadow's Return

*Somewhere in the Beach*

The seagulls flew over the sky and the sound of the ocean crashed against the shore. It was so calm that you could almost hear the waves rolling against the rocks on the beach as Sonic was walking through the beach. He wore a white suit and bare feet. The blue hedgehog sighed as he looked at the ocean waving gently with the sun glistening on the sea. It felt really nice out to be able to enjoy the warm breeze and sunshine without any worries.

However, there was one thing he had been depressed about his lover was gone. No matter how hard he tried, he still couldn't stop thinking about Shadow. Sonic didn't want to admit it, but he was still very hurt by his death. Sonic's face became saddened at the thought of him.

Sonic felt a presence by his side, he turned around to see someone who stood there in the distance. It was an onyx hedgehog wearing a white suit with bare feet. Sonic's face lit in surprise that his lover was alive. It was Shadow. He was smiling gently at Sonic with a kind look on his face.

Sonic smiled and walked to Shadow and met his crimson-red eyes with his own cerulean blue ones. He couldn't believe his lover was alive. He felt the happiness inside him swelling up like a balloon. His heart was beating really fast for some reason as if everything in his life was worth it. He just couldn't understand why Shadow had left like that. Why did he leave to the other side of the world just to tell him goodbye?

"Hello, Sonic," said Shadow.

"Shadow... I've missed you," said Sonic. "So much..."

He hugged his lover tightly, embracing him tightly, making sure to memorize every single detail of his lover. He wanted to savor this moment forever. He had been waiting to see his lover for so long and he had no idea when they would meet again.

"It's good to be back, Sonic. Even after what happened... we should never have separated." He said. "You know that, right?"

Sonic smiled softly as tears filled his eyes. He knew they were meant to be together forever. They both knew it since the beginning and they both knew that they were meant to be.

"Yes, I know," answered Sonic. "But I can't help feeling sad and hurt. You left me behind... I"—Sonic's voice broke— "I don't understand."

Shadow caressed his partner's cheek, trying to comfort him. "I'm sorry, Sonic. I know you will feel upset about it, but we're going to go stay together now."

Sonic looked up at Shadow, "We?" he asked.

"Yes. We need to be together. We belong together. I promise I'll always be by your side. Always." said Shadow.

"Shadow..." whispered Sonic.

"Sonic..." whispered Shadow.

And they were about to kiss, but suddenly, something went wrong. Shadow noticed his hand started to disintegrate and the sand around his hand started to crumble away. Shadow was surprised to see this and panicked, "Aaah!" screamed Shadow.

Sonic began to freak out. He realized that something bad was happening. "Shadow?! What is happening?!" cried Sonic.

"I don't know!" he cried. His body began to slowly disintegrate. "Sonic, help me!" shouted Shadow.

Sonic was horrified. He watched as his beloved lover died before him. Tears were streaming down his cheeks as his body disintegrated into nothingness. It wasn't real. It didn't feel real. Everything was too sudden. It made Sonic panic.

"Help me!!" cried Shadow as his body fully dissolved into pieces and he disappeared into thin air.

Sonic ran to save his lover, but it was too late. He fell to the sand, clutching onto Shadow as if he would disappear once again, and then his mind shut down and he fainted from sadness and shock. He was completely numb, unable to move or even think properly. He grabbed nothing but sand around his fingers as he started to panic. He didn't know what was happening to him. He felt like he was about to faint and lose consciousness. Everything felt like it was spinning around him. He needed to get control of himself but there was no way to do it. It was impossible. He was completely helpless as he sat there crying on the sandy ground.