Chapter 20: Shadow's Sacrifice

Outside the space, Super Sonic and Super Shadow were facing Biolizard, now The Final Hazard. It was going to be an epic battle. The Ultimate Lifeform and his counterpart were ready to battle against the prototype for their final showdown.

A communicator buzzed in. "Sonic, Shadow, can you hear me?" It was Tails' voice. "Everyone is here rooting for you. Good luck!"

Sonic and Shadow began to fight the monster together. They worked as a team, taking out Final Hazard from all angles. "Let's see what this new form does," Sonic said. He sent out a barrage of energy blasts at Final Hazard as it roared painfully. The monster opened its mouth to fire a laser at Sonic, but he dodged with ease.

"I don't like this, but we need to end this quickly before the damage gets too critical," said Sonic.

The two hedgehogs attacked simultaneously, blasting Final Hazard into a massive blast of yellow light. A large explosion rocked the area, knocking them back, but the light eventually subsided.

"Sonic, Shadow, can you hear me? He's very weak without his life support system. Aim for the red swelling areas to damage him! You're our last hope!" said Eggman.

Sonic nodded, "Got it."

"Leave this to me," said Shadow as he dashed off to go after Final Hazard. He raised his hand to shoot another burst of energy at the creature. "Chaos Blast!!" He released a beam that exploded against Final Hazard. The monster roared in agony.

Shadow winced in pain. His energy blasts hadn't been much help on top of that, but he didn't let this show.

"You okay, Shadow?" asked Sonic.

"I'm fine. Just hit my limit, that's all. But this should be enough." said Shadow.

"Let's finish it up fast then," said Sonic. "It looks like he won't be able to survive that anymore. Finish it quickly and I'll take care of him."

"Okay," said Shadow.

"Sonic, Shadow!" It was Knuckles' voice in the communicator. "The colony is heading close to Earth in about 4 minutes! Hurry!"

"We haven't got much time left! You do the blast, and I'll do the homing attack," said Sonic.

Shadow nodded, and then they charged at the Final Hazard at full speed. Shadow shot his own blast toward the monster, aiming for a mass where a few tendrils had appeared. And Sonic curled himself into a ball and hit the red swellings on its back.  He was able to cause some pain, Final Hazard roared painfully.

'Maria... watch me. I will fulfill your wish!' thought Shadow. "CHAOS SPEARS!!" he threw the yellow arrow-like spears at the monster's back. They penetrated the monster and struck several organs, causing more suffering. Final Hazard roared painfully.

"That was great, Shadow!" cheered Sonic, giving him the thumbs up.

Shadow smiled and replied, "Thanks."

"You guys!" It was Rouge's voice as a communicator. "The colony is getting close to the planet in 1 minute! Please hurry!"

They flashed and appeared in front of the space colony and they held out their hands.

"No way that's getting through!" yelled Sonic.

A girl's voice was heard from Shadow's mind.

'Shadow... I beg of you.'

"Maria...?"  whispered Shadow, confused. "Maria, is that you?"

'Shadow... Give them a chance to be happy. Please take care of the village and protect everyone. Make sure that everyone survives...' said Maria's voice.

Shadow closed his eyes and came back to the reality.

"Now, Shadow!!" yelled Sonic.

"CHAOS CONTROL!!" both yelled in unison.

The beam of white light engulfed Final Hazard, and it was completely destroyed. The colony ARK was above the Earth. Far, far above the Earth, and the planet was saved.

Inside the Space Colony, they were cheering and celebrating. They hugged each other and celebrated the victory, and they looked at all of the surviving residents. They were all so excited, and even though it had just happened, they felt like it was just yesterday. The moment they saw each other, they realized how much they missed one another.

"They did it!" exclaimed Tails.

*Outside the space*

Sonic laughed, "We did it, Shadow!"

No responded.

"Shadow?" He turned around to Shadow was exhausted and his breathing was shallow. Sonic flew to Shadow to check on him and placed his palm on Shadow's face, making him open his eyes. "Shadow, what's wrong? You okay?" he asked softly.

"Sonic..."  Shadow murmured. His super form was depleted back to his original form, and he slipped unconscious from falling to the Earth.

"Shadow!!" Sonic cried, flying down after him. He was trying to catch Shadow, but he was a meter away from him. 

"Shadow, wake up!! Wake up, dammit!!" Sonic cried.

He was unresponsive as Sonic used his full speed to fly toward him trying to catch him. But when Sonic was close enough, he managed to grab one of his hands from the gravity.

'C'mon! Just a little more!' thought Sonic, trying to reach him.

One of the Inhibitor Rings flew out of Shadow's wrist and Sonic grabbed it. Shadow was far away from him and it was too late to save him.

'Maria... Is this enough...?' Shadow asked in thought. 'This is what you wanted... right? This is my promise I made to you...' He spoke his final words as he fell down to the planet and disappeared with a flash.

Sonic stood there in outer space, hanging his head down, defeated. 'Why couldn't I save him?! Why am I such an awful friend..!?' he cried in thought, gripping his ring tightly in his hand.

Sonic screamed at the top of his lungs in despair, and then he cried uncontrollably. He was gone. His lover was gone, and now Sonic had to deal with being all alone. It was his first love since he met him in the city when the G.U.N. mistook Sonic for stealing Chaos Emerald from the museum. Now that Shadow was gone, Sonic was alone again. Sonic felt lonely, abandoned, hurt... And he hated it. He hated his fate and he hated everything about it. After a while, Sonic collected himself and flew back to the ARK.