chapter 3 : Family Time

The clock struck and it was finally home time, I packed any books I needed and made my way out of school until I was interrupted by Joshua who came charging towards me.

"Simon!! Simon waiiit!" He wailed as he ran towards me. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

"Simon- what's your number??" He panted, taking his phone out of his pocket.

"Oh- pfft..that's why you ran up to me??" I smirked, he nodded his head which made me laugh even more.

"Give me your phone, I'll add myself." I continued. He handed me his IPhone 13 and waited patiently. Damn- IPhone 13?! Since when is he this rich!!!

"All done." I smiled, giving him his phone back, he smiled back at me with puppy eyes.

"I'll text you!" He exclaimed as he started to run off into a black, expensive looking car. I don't know my cars but I know that one definitely cost thousands.

📚📚📚📚

I made my way back home on foot, which wasn't a big deal as I only lived 15 minutes away from school.
"I'm home!" I yelped as I entered the house.

"Hiya sweetie, how was school?" Smiled my grandma as she stood over the stove, the strong smell of fish hit me once I joined her in the kitchen.

"It was alright" I responded dryly, trying to quickly unpack and start my homework.

"Anything interesting happen??" She continued.

"Hm, oh! You won't believe who I met today!! Do you remember Joshua? He's in the same school as me." I jumped up. I was excited to tell her about Joshua since every summer he would come with me to my grandparents house, they loved him, as did I.

"Joshua- Joshua Kelly???"

"Yeah! He moved to my maths class today, I wouldn't have known otherwise."

"Oh my god!? How's he doing????" She shrieked in joy.

"He seems to be doing great, he has muscles! He's on the swimming team."

"Muscles?!? He's really moving up in the world." She snickered, the both of us let out a small chuckle.

"I also befriended this girl in my class, her name's Molly, she seems really nice."

"Ah I'm glad to know our little boy is making friends now." She smiled as the fish fizzled in the oil. I took out my notebooks and started my homework at the kitchen table.

"Dinner will be ready in half an hour by the way." She continued, I just gave her a thumbs up, my eyes still glued down to the page. I needed to get this homework done, all of it.

Even if its not due tomorrow I always finish the homework so it won't bother me later on, I don't understand people who leave things till last minute.

"Heya lad, how was school?" Smiled my Grandpa as he shuffled through my hair.

"Good, I almost won against Nick today, we got a tie!"

"Atta boy! Destroy him next chance ya get!!" He exclaimed before the both of us giggled to ourselves.

"What! I wasn't told of this?? How long have ye devils been planning this???" Interrupted Nan. One hand on her hip and the other being waved around as she rambled on how I should be making more friends than enemies and blah blah blah...I wasn't really listening if you couldn't tell.

I continued to do my homework like the good boy I am and by the time I finished it, it was finally dinner time.

"Hey guys" muttered Lydia, my sister, as she sat down at the table, her eyes glued to her phone.

"Lydia, no phone at the table please" groaned Nan, she rolled her eyes and put her phone in her pocket.

"How was soccer sweetie?" She continued as Lydia aimlessly looked around the room, she looked extremely bored. A little social media obsessed I see..

"Yeah, fine...hey nan, can I go to that birthday party on the 21st??" She replied, she started to tap the table.

"Stop that" I hissed,

"Umm..can I think about it?" Nan responded as she placed food on the table. Lydia rolled her eyes.

"But nannn, all my friends are going, there'll be no drinks okay?? Just my friends and a few people from the school."

"Will there be boys?" Nan asked, putting down the last plates and sitting down at the table meanwhile Grandpa read the newspapers.

"Michael" Nan called, he placed the papers on his lap and grabbed his plate.

"Well yeah...obviously?? It's a mixed school." Lydia groaned.

Suddenly the room fell silent and the sound of forks and knives overtook the room, the dreadful sounds of chewing going right up into my ear. Stop chewing so loud please, please, pleaseeee...I'm actually going to cry-

"What if Simon went with her?" Grandpa answered, finally filling in the silence.

"What" I blurted, choking on my food.

"Simon could you do that for us?" Nan replied, all eyes turned to me.

"No, why me! I've studies to be keeping up with, I've no time for parties." I growled. Lydia looked at me as if I've killed her cat or something.

"Please sweetie, it'd make me feel much safer knowing you're with her" Nan pleaded, all of them still staring at me.

I silently looked at Lydia and then at Nan, the both of them looked at me with big puppy eyes.

"Ugh fine, but if I fail it's on Lydia." I groaned, Lydia and my Nan jumped up in joy, grandpa just giggled to himself.

📚📚📚📚

The next day I rushed to school, desperately dragging my sister along with me, she always takes her sweet time.

Once we made it to school I ran to my locker, grabbed my books and ran to my first class which was chemistry. Nick is in chemistry, I can't possibly let him be first in class.

I rushed into the door realising it was locked. Of course! It's a science room what was I thinking??

I ran back down the hall all way to the teachers lounge, anxiously knocking on the door as if my life depended on it.

"Mr. Cooper, you alright?" Asked one of the teachers as he frowed his eyebrows, he looked concerned but I didn't care. I had a goal to accomplish!

"Could you please ask Mr.Gorman if he could give me the keys to the lab, I left my reading glasses inside." I bluffed, hoping he'll take the bait. I'm genius MUHAHAHAH-

"Oh, another student asked for the keys just a moment ago, I'm sure it's open now." He replied, making my heart drop. I felt like dramatically dropping down to my knees and screaming but this wasn't a movie, I needed to get to class.

"Oh! Um..okay, thank you!" I exclaimed before sprinting back to the lab which was wide open, once I entered I noticed Nick silently studying away. A huge smirk spread across his face as I sat down at the table beside his.

Ugh, he's so arrogant..I'll get you next time bookworm..
I mumbled to myself, only realising afterwards that I said it out loud.

He slowly looked up towards me with his smug smirk.
"Challenge accepted, princess."