missing (twelve)

*

 ~ i guess it's just another one of those days where i'm missing everything ~

or, alternatively,

~ it's not the same without you ~

*

TWs: a breakdown

***

The door cracks open.

"Hey, ______, I want to talk to you about something."

"Come in. I have something I'd like to speak with you about as well."

The door opens wider, then closes tightly. 

"You start."

"Alright. I've been observing Etho closely since our last meeting, and I've gathered more evidence that he may be like us."

"Should we talk to him, then? Should I go find him and ask him to meet us here?"

"Not yet. The way he's been acting with Beef has been . . . contradictory to what I would've thought if we are correct." 

"What do you mean? It isn't impossible for an alien to fall for a human."

"Yes, but it's unlikely."

"Not here! Right now, half of the confirmed aliens on the ship are dating a human!"

"Two aliens is hardly a large enough sample size for this. It doesn't help that half of the aliens are aromantic."

"Yeah, but there aren't any aliens on this ship that feel romantic attraction who aren't dating a human."

"That's true . . ."

"So, should I find Etho?" 

"Not now. The recent disappearance has shaken him greatly, and I'd like more time observe before we reach out to him. I want to be completely sure that he's one of us before telling him our secret." 

"Okay."

"What did you want to speak with me about?" 

"Can I tell Doc? I feel terrible keeping this from him." 

"You can tell him about you being an alien as long as nothing comes up about me."

"Deal." 

They shake hands, officially sealing the deal.

"Great, I'll see you around!"

One person leaves the room.

***

It had been two days since the Hermit-Craft had left Maroon City, and the necklace was still lying on Etho's bedstand.