scared (seventeen)

*

~ if you lean too close, i'll kiss your ear and tell you i still love you ~

*

TWs: mentions of death, war, and fighting

***

A knock on the door is what wakes Etho up from a nice slumber. He groans, dragging a hand over his face, and blearily shuffles to the door.

Beef stands in the hallway, looking awkward and nervous.

"Uh, hi?" Etho says after Beef just stares. 

"I can't sleep." Beef sounds so tired, and so defeated. Etho opens his door further, a silent invite for Beef to stay with him. He accepts, brushing past Etho and into the room. 

Beef plops himself down on the floor. Etho takes a few blankets from his bed, one for himself and one for Beef, then sits down next to him. He holds out the fluffier blanket to Beef, and seconds later, Beef's wrapped in it. 

"So," Etho starts, "any particular reason you can't sleep?"

"Not really," Beef says, too quickly. That and the slightly stressed look that's been clinging to him for a week tell Etho that his friend is lying. It doesn't feel good to know someone you trust with your life is keeping secrets from you, but then again, Etho's doing the same, and his are probably bigger than Beef's. 

Etho rearranges himself so he's behind Beef and starts to massage the tension out of his shoulders. This is another one of those inherently romantic things they do without thought or questions. He only sees me as a friend, Etho has to remind himself again. He's had to do that more often recently, with Beef's words and actions slowly slipping from friend-like to partner-like.

"What's the matter?" Etho asks, another attempt to get Beef to open up.

"It's nothing important- well, it's kinda important but-"

"Breathe," Etho soothes, one hand moving to the middle of Beef's back while the other drops.

"Sorry," Beef apologizes, taking Etho's advice. The only noise in the room for some time is quiet breathing.

"Alright," Etho starts again, when he deduces Beef is sufficiently calmed down. "Now, what's going on?" 

"I overheard something while I was in the prison." Beef's voice is shaky, and a note quieter than usual. "It happened a few days before you guys arrived."

Etho hums, urging Beef on.

"There's- there's going to be a big battle soon. Between aliens and humans. From what I gathered, it's supposed to be the battle of all battles— whoever wins it wins the war." There's a pause, then, "We're going to be called in to help. Everyone will, alien or human. Anyone who can fight is going to be called on to serve."

"Oh," Etho says, "oh. That's not . . . great news."

"I know. I should've said something earlier, then we'd have more time to get prepared. Sorry."

"It's okay." Etho's still massaging Beef's shoulders, so he gives him a hug from behind.

"I'm scared," Beef whispers, wrapped in Etho's gentle embrace. "I don't want to fight; I'm not good at it. I don't want any of us to get hurt either or-" He cuts himself off before the word 'die' is uttered. 

"It's okay to be scared. I'm scared too," Etho admits, pulling back. "We can be scared together."

Beef keeps rambling. "I know you're going to be a big help in the battle. You're really good at fighting. I just- part of me doesn't want you to fight. I don't know what I'd do if- if you got hurt."