epilogue

*

~ but strangely, he feels at home in this place ~

*

TWs: None? I think?

***

"There's always opportunity for change," a mother says to her son as they watch the rain pour outside.

"There's always opportunity for change," a friend says, setting their hand on their companion's shoulder.

"There's always opportunity for change," a little girl tells her parents, ever optimistic.

"There's always opportunity for change," a lover reassures their partner as they sift through the bills.

"There's always opportunity for change," a history teacher tells his students years in the future, "and things have changed. Now, humans and aliens are at a tentative peace. All it took was a common enemy for them to realize they weren't as different as they thought.

A student raises his hand. "What happened to the crew of humans and aliens who worked together, even though they weren't supposed to?"

The teacher shrugs. "Nobody knows."

---

Etho curls further into Beef's side, savoring the warmth. He woke up two hours ago and his boyfriend is still asleep, but it's fine with him. More time in bed is more time to cuddle.

As Etho lays there, he thinks about how far the hermits have come. The Battle To End All Battles was a few years ago now, and the Hermit-Craft has been flying away since then. They don't have any other choice. There's still a massive bounty on their heads from both the aliens and humans. Lately, they've been sticking to the very fringe of civilization, just close enough to get supplies and fuel if they need it.

Even though they've practically been exiled, Etho loves it here. It's beautiful; just the Hermit-Craft, the stars, and the occasional planet.

It's home.

While Etho falls asleep again, reeled in by Beef's warmth and the fuzzy feeling of home, the Hermit-Craft keeps moving. It wanders further away from civilization, but the hermits know they'll never get lost. 

After all, there are three things the hermits are fully sure of: they are family, the universe loves them, and the stars will be their guides.

fin.

***

Author's Note

Song Credit: Home - Cavetown

Word Count: 348

Average word count (not including prologue and epilogue): 1,541

Total word count (including prologue and epilogue): 34,838

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its the end!

You have no idea how long it took for me to configure everything so the title was the last line of the fic- like seriously there was an epilogue before this epilogue that I had to scrap because I couldn't fit the line in (you'll see that in the outtakes chapter). 

Next is the after you end chapter, and then the outtakes. See you there!

-Blu