Chapter 9

Adam

The size of her house still blows me away. She's walking down the driveway, the garage roller door shutting behind her. I feel myself frowning at that, the mystery of why she sleeps in her car, in a garage, in a fucking mansion... still eats away at my curiosity. But I lock it down and take a minute to look at her properly. Fuck. I should lock that down too, because she looks stunning. I'm used to her in that ridiculously huge hoodie or workout gear, but this. Fuck. Cute sandals, tight three-quarter jeans, white gypsy shirt, long brown hair framing her beautiful face. She looks back at me waiting in the car and fucking takes my breath away with a smile that makes me grip the steering wheel a bit tighter. Lock it fucking down Adam.

The drive doesn't take long and we easily pass the time chatting, getting to know each other in this new setting. I can tell she's nervous but also showing some determination to not let it get the best of her. Sessions with Nikki and her overall confidence is growing with each day and I couldn't be more proud of how far she's come. I notice how many cars are parked near my parents place and it dawns on me that there are way more people here than I thought there would be. We walk side by side towards the house and I sneak my hand into hers, never taking my eyes off her. A small smile creeps in as she looks at our hands and then up to my face, her smile dropping slightly as she sees my look of concern.

"I'm so sorry." She frowns at my words.

"There's a lot more people here than I thought. We don't have to go in if you're not comfortable."

She's completely still as she looks at me, then drifts her eyes back down to our hands, then slowly turns to the front door. I wait for her to decide, not wanting to pressure her either way.

"You're here. I'll be okay." Just a few words and I feel fucking invincible, like I'm her fucking superhero or something. I try and reel myself in. She's still trying to figure me out dipshit.

I don't bother knocking and just head inside. There's maybe thirty people or so here - family, friends, neighbours and a few of my parents work colleagues I recognise. Everyone's spread out from the kitchen to the lounge, but mostly outside on the deck and backyard, enjoying the sunny weather. Mum, Nikki and a few other ladies are busy in the kitchen so we head on over. I'm hoping that Summer will be okay with smaller groups to introduce her to first, we can even skip the bulk of the people outside. Anything that works for her. Mum sees me first and smiles, her eyes beaming straight down to our joined hands and her smile turns up to almost brighter than the fucking sun. Lock it down a bit mum... Jesus Christ. I go through the introductions, relieved that Nikki is here for that extra support. Then there's Grace (my mum), Aunt Lily, Sarah our neighbour and Riley, mums best friend. The sight of my dad at his beloved grill on the deck, catches my eye and with Nikki here, I feel like I can leave Summer for a little bit.

I lean down close to her ear, noticing that she tries her best to hide her breath hitch.

Interesting.

"Are you okay here for a bit?"

She turns and smiles at me with a little nod. "Sure."

I glance at Nikki and subtly give her a look to say look out for her, but her wink already tells me that she has it covered. Summer is masking her anxiety so well, only a trained eye would guess that it's taking a fair amount of control and measured techniques to help her keep it that way. But Nikki definitely has her back, and I can tell how immensely proud she is right this moment, as am I. Summer asks if she can help with anything and mum happily assigns her with chopping up food for the salads.

"So Summer,... how did you and Adam meet?" As I walk away I hear Riley's question, but not the reply as I step outside.

"Um... at the gym."