Chapter 36

Summer

Six months later.

It is a gorgeous, warm night and our friends and family have arrived at the house for an outdoor dinner party. As I stand at the kitchen window, looking out at the deck, I feel very lucky to have all of these wonderful people in my life. The choices I have made and the actions I took, will forever have an impact on me and those around me. Things could have turned out so very differently and I wouldn't lie and say that the thought of that, and losing these people, makes me grateful for them every single day.

Everyone is outside, starting to help themselves to the food, organising a place to eat and drink together. There are tables and chairs scattered around the deck and garden, with fairy lights and lanterns lighting the way.

Holly and Toby cosy up next to each other. He grins and leans into her, whispering something seductively in her ear. She giggles and smiles sweetly at him, lightly giving his cheek a pat, before her hand slips under the table, his lips returning to the nape of her neck and he kisses her softly.

I know Adam and Holly have had a difficult relationship. Her stubbornness and protectiveness over me has been something Adam has always admired, but during some moments where she was his only source of information, she was not always forthcoming with any help whatsoever. She will justify her actions behind a wall of legal jargon, but at the same time he was desperate and she denied him. Nobody wins in that regard, so they have had to find a way to keep the peace and move forward respectfully in their friendship.

Toby is quite the character and the way he and Adam relate so closely, warms my heart. You would think that they were brothers and I guess with the military service they shared, they really are. The playful banter is always amusing but it's laced with a deep sense of respect and love. Toby has taken the lead in the daily operations at the gym and they are in discussions about a possible partnership and opening a second location.

Another pairing that makes me feel that all is perfect in the world is Sandra and Rogers... well Devon I should say. They had met a few times when he would visit me at Silver Birch, and not long after there were coffee dates, dinner dates and I believe he's planning on asking her to move in with him. She's such a confident, headstrong woman and I was always impressed with her strong presence and independence. But she seems to be all butterflies and soppy smiles when it comes to the handsome detective.

Adam's parents are of course here too. Grace and Brandon have been an incredibly important influence on us over the months since we reconnected. Imparting their support, love and experience has been instrumental in helping us get through some difficult times, and for that I will be forever thankful.

I stifle a laugh as I look over to Nikki. She has found a firm friend in Daisy, the vivacious florist who delivered flowers to me every week for more than a year. I watch them at the drinks table, lining up a couple of shots each, then laughing as they chant something in unison before slamming back the drinks in quick succession. I'm sure they are up for a big night in town later and I pity any men that might spark their interest... they'll likely eat them alive.

And then there's Adam. As I look over to him near the table of food, of course, I smile as he's already looking at me. He shovels some food in his mouth and then raises his eyebrows at me, silently asking if I'm okay. I nod my head and leave the kitchen to head outside and join the party. He meets me at the door and leans down to kiss me, something I don't think I'll ever tire of. We fill our plates, take our seats and eat, drink and laugh the night away.

After the meal is done, I move to clear some of the dishes away but before I can, Adam takes my hand and leads me away towards the sand.

"Feel like a walk?" His deep voice gets me every time and I follow him along the beach, toward the  jetty and I smile, because I know I would gladly follow him anywhere.