50| The Promise

_________________

_________________

Serena hadn't slept properly since before the party. Actually, nothing has felt normal since before the party. She had stepped through a portal at some point and was now operating in the twilight zone. Here, the ghost of Peter's face was haunting her nearly every time she closed her eyes. The pain her heart wreaked all over her when she thought of the shattered betrayal across Connor's face was debilitating. It all was keeping her up, making her restless, and stacked with guilt.

She sat in her house for the past two days, with all the lights off, frozen in her little capsule of lonesome safety. She watched the world go by in muted colors of pewter gray and molasses. Just watching it all pass her by like she used to. She hadn't felt this defeated since she first escaped Peter. Now, all these years later, she still gets rendered defenseless by the mere sight of him.

She had no idea why he was there that night, but she connected the dots after her body and mind calmed down. Liam and Peter shared the same last name. Usually, that wouldn't immediately make them related, Feller was a pretty common last name, but all things considered, it was a safe assumption to make.

She felt awful all-day Saturday, mulling over the idea of going to his house and apologizing for her assumption. But the more she pondered it, the worse the idea seemed.

Not only did the idea of facing him as Serena but also now as Skylyn make her whole body shake with anxiety. She also couldn't stop seeing the disappointment on his face, the way his eyes were drowned in anger; he didn't want it to be her. She couldn't blame him.

All of it kept her from going over there Saturday, every time she got close to touching the cold door handle. Her body seemed to freeze, and her breathing got so shallow she could barely feel the dull inflation of her lungs anymore. Then she gave up.

Watching his game only poured stinging salt on the fresh wound. She couldn't even finish it. Seeing him so out of it, knowing that she was the cause of it.

Tears filled her eyes the minute she clicked the tv off. Loving Conor Deluca had spoiled her. Knowing someone who breathed life into her, brightened the gray world she used to exist in, and made her smile so freely turned the life she thought she was content living into a cruel reality.

The couch she sat on felt awkward without the added dip of Connor's body on it. She no longer felt okay never leaving the walls of her solitude. Her body craved the man who ripped her out of her comfort zone constantly.

He was not hers, maybe never truly was. The tears welled in her eyes and spilled viciously down her face, stabbing pains in her broken heart made her chest heave so terribly it took her breath away.

Her head hung, and she stared at a spot on the sofa until her vision grew too blurry to see through the tears.

She just wanted to go to bed, wincing her eyes shut hard she forced the wall of water from her eyes. She stormed off the sofa and up to her room, it was still the mess she left it, maybe even more so.