Chapter 8: Sheriff Trista

Six years had passed since Trista took command of half of the Southwest Sands. It took six years to turn what was a living terror, into a beautiful, wholesome place to grow a family. Trista was a kind ruler, and only fought wranglers who were thieves or killers, signing contracts with the good ones to pay wranglers who helped people. Trista had been challenged by many wranglers and sheriffs alike, but she never lost a fight. Titan was the only man she truly feared, having seen him in action one time too many times. His power let him grow into a giant, and his rampages tended to level multiple cities. He was essentially a big bully. And one that even Trista didn't have the power to beat. For now at least.

"Sheriff Trista, an Elixir Brawl is expected to be held soon at the temple a mile south of here."

"A mile south you say... Prepare me a horse, I'll go alone."

"Y-yes ma'am!"

"Summon my father, and tell him he's in charge while I'm gone."

"Should I inform Great Eight Titan?"

"No. I'll inform him when I get back, he won't talk to you anyway."

Trista, put on her purple, hooded leather jacket. She unsheathed her sai to check them, gave them a spin, and returned them to their sheaths. Trista's secretary, Crow, could see that scary look in Trista's eyes that she got when she was serious, but somehow today it was an entirely new level of horrifying. It was as if her light purple eyes were pushing him down into submission. He ran to get her horse and father as she said. Trista breathed in and out slowly, relaxing her muscles and preparing for a battle. Or more like a slaughter.

"Your horse is here Sheriff Trista!"

Crow knelt before her, afraid to look her in the eyes.

"Thank you Crow, and by the way there's no need to worry!"

Crow trembled as she walked by.

"I'm returning safely, guaranteed!"

Crow swallowed, knowing this would be a quick Elixir Brawl. Trista mounted her horse just when her dad ran up to her.

"Trista, wait up!"

"Yes, father?"

"I just want to tell ya to be safe, and don't take it too easy on em', got it girly?!"

"Loud and clear dad, I'll be right back!"

Trista rode off, headed south for the temple. She thought long and hard about how to gain the power to beat Titan. And this was the only way she could think of. An Elixir Brawl. And she planned on winning it at all costs. As she got to the temple, she could already hear the violence from outside. As she walked in, the smell of blood seeped into her nose. People turned, realizing who Trista is.

"W-why is she here?!"

"Well are you all gonna just stand there, come on at least make it interesting for me."

Everyone charged her, and she danced through the crowd, slitting everyone's throat. No matter how many tried, she killed them all effortlessly, finishing the brawl in seconds. As she finished she put her sai away, and turned to see the entire floor was puddled in blood. She turned to see the Temple Keeper, a young, fit woman with short hair. She looked down at Trista as if she'd just seen the Great One himself, paralyzed in fear.

"Y-you must be, Sheriff Trista!"

"I am!"

Trista smiled at the woman, hoping to ease her fear a little.

"Sorry if I scared you, but I couldn't let such an opportunity slip, and I was kinda expecting stronger enemies."

The Temple Keeper seemed to be slightly relieved, but still seemed shaken up by what she'd just witnessed.