Chapter 2: The Dementor

Harry, Ron, and Hermione made their way through the bustling aisle of the Hogwarts Express, searching for an available compartment. Most compartments were already occupied, but after some effort, they discovered one with only one person inside, their face concealed by a coat. Sharing a glance, they decided to take their seats, bringing their pets along with them. However, they couldn't help but feel off-kilter as their friend Toni was nowhere to be found, despite her father's letter indicating that she wouldn't be able to meet them at the Leaky Cauldron.

"Her father's letter didn't mention anything about her missing the train... Just that she couldn't meet us at the Leaky Cauldron," Ron mentioned, absentmindedly scratching behind his rat Scabbers' ear.

"I didn't see her at all during the summer. I tried, but her schedule was packed with training. At least we were able to exchange letters," Hermione said. Harry's brow furrowed, disappointed to learn that Toni had written to Hermione and Ron but not to him.

Unbeknownst to Harry, Theodore was standing in the doorway of the compartment, having overheard their conversation. "She told me she tried writing to you, but her letters were all returned," Theodore interjected.

"Theodore," Harry acknowledged. "I didn't receive anything from her... Are you sure she sent them correctly?"

"Positive," Theodore replied, glancing out of the compartment before taking a seat next to Harry. "She mentioned trying to call you at... the Dursleys'?"

"I never received any calls," Harry responded.

"Perhaps her family's owl had trouble reaching you. It happens sometimes," Hermione reassured, and Harry nodded faintly.

Theodore's gaze shifted around the compartment and settled on the cloaked figure in the corner. His brow raised, and he looked back at Harry.

"Who is that?" Theodore asked.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione answered.

Ron gaped at her. "How do you know?"

"It's written on his belongings, Ronald," Hermione sighed. "I wonder what he's teaching."

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," Theodore chimed in. They all turned to him. "Toni told me he's a friend of her father and uncle. He visited her over the summer and mentioned it."

"So this man can see her during the summer, but not her friends?" Ron grumbled, struggling to contain his restless Scabbers in his hand.

"What's wrong with that thing?" Hermione retorted.

"Probably the monster you bought," Ron gestured toward her cat.

"Crookshanks is not a monster!" Hermione snapped back.

Harry sighed and exchanged an awkward glance with Theodore, who remained composed amid the bickering.

"Antonia isn't here?" Theodore asked.

"We haven't seen her," Harry replied, and Theodore nodded subtly.

"Well, I should head back now. I'll see you all at school," Theodore said, rising and leaving the three of them, along with the slumbering Lupin.

During the train ride, Harry shared all that he had learned from Mr. Weasley regarding Sirius Black. The warning had left him particularly anxious. Adding to his concerns, Harry recounted the sighting of the strange dog he had encountered before being picked up by the Knight Bus after his escape. When he finished sharing everything, Ron appeared thunderstruck, while Hermione seemed more terrified than anything.

"He's coming after you? Oh, Harry... You must be careful this year," Hermione said, her tone filled with sadness.

"It's not like I go looking for trouble... It just seems to find me," Harry replied nervously, sighing and glancing down at his hands. "I wish Toni were here. Maybe she could help with all this."