Chapter 39: The Fleeing of Scabbers

Toni rushed back to the Gryffindor tower with great haste, eager to share and discuss what she had learned from Trelawney and to find out what was troubling Harry. However, her excitement turned to sorrow as she was met with the somber expressions of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They showed her the note: Buckbeak's appeal had not been successful, and the Hippogriff was scheduled to be executed by sunset.

The news weighed heavily on all of them, knowing how much Hagrid would suffer from losing his beloved creature. Despite the despair, they remained determined. Harry explained that Snape had caught him sneaking back into Hogwarts after meeting with Toni and Ron, confiscating the Marauder's Map in the process, and leaving Harry's invisibility cloak behind in the passage. Hermione, without hesitation, disappeared briefly and returned with the cloak tucked under her arm.

Afterward, the four of them joined others in the Great Hall before sneaking off beneath the invisibility cloak to visit Hagrid. When they arrived, Hagrid seemed different than they expected. He stood firmly before them, but his shock and distress over the news were evident.

"Want some tea?" Hagrid offered, his hands shaking as he handled the kettle.

"Where is Buckbeak?" Hermione inquired gently.

"Outside," Hagrid replied. He sighed, turning to face them. "He's tied up in the pumpkin patch. Thought it'd be nice for him to see the trees and get some fresh air before... before..."

His voice faltered as he struggled to find the right words. Hermione stood up and stepped forward to help him, preparing the cups, milk, and teapot.

"Thanks, Hermione," Hagrid said, taking a deep breath.

Harry frowned, feeling helpless. "Isn't there anything someone can do? Maybe Dumbledore-"

"He's tried," Hagrid interjected. "He told 'em that Buckbeak meant no harm, that he's one of the good ones. But you all know how Lucius Malfoy is. He scared 'em all."

"Is he coming down to be with you, Hagrid?" Toni asked, her tone sincere as she reached out to stroke Fang's enormous head.

Hagrid nodded. "Yeah. Said he thought I could use a friend by my side."

"We will be here too," Hermione added.

"No, no. I don't want you to watch that. You four will go back to the castle, understand? You don't need to see it," Hagrid protested, waving his hand.

Hagrid let out a heavy sigh, seemingly lost in a moment of recollection. He stood up from his seat and walked over to the window, reaching into a jar to retrieve something he handed to Ron.

"Scabbers!" Ron called out with excitement.

"He showed up here the other night. Best to keep an eye on your pet," Hagrid said, giving Ron a firm look.

Toni noticed the internal struggle Ron seemed to be experiencing. Scabbers was squirming and squeaking in his hands, clearly unwilling to be returned. The rat looked much thinner than before, and his bald patches seemed larger. Hagrid sighed, his attention turning to the window, and his eyes widened.

"They are coming. You four best get out of here. It's not good for you all to be seen here right now," Hagrid warned.

The four of them slipped out of the back door of Hagrid's hut. Hermione's eyes were already filled with tears as she led them up the hill toward the castle. Toni couldn't help but glance back every so often, curious about what was happening behind them. She sighed heavily and followed her friends, but as she turned back, she accidentally bumped into the back of Ron, who had stopped abruptly.