Chapter 20: First Memory

The end of term drew near, and the entire school was abuzz with excitement and fascination over the Defense Against the Dark Arts demonstration featuring the Rothleys and the Violet Summer. Even those who had previously feared Toni were now completely obsessed with her, and her popularity soared. Pike Filly and his sister Lake, who had criticized Toni in the past, were now among her ardent admirers.

Amidst this crowd of intrigue and curiosity, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville remained indifferent. Ever since Wolfe had carried Toni away, they hadn't seen her. Days passed with no sign of her, and Wolfe's absence in Defense Against the Dark Arts classes only fueled their concerns. Lupin quickly dismissed any questions regarding Toni's whereabouts, leaving them clueless. They searched the school extensively, including the hospital wing, but she was nowhere to be found. They could only assume she was in the teachers' tower, secluded and behind locked doors.

Harry, in particular, was deeply upset by Toni's absence, and it began to take a toll on him mentally and physically. Draco, too, became strangely quiet after the demonstration, showing no interest in teasing Harry or acknowledging their interactions in class. Theodore, on the other hand, appeared to be actively searching the school grounds and corridors, though he never openly expressed his distress over her absence.

Neville remarked at the Gryffindor table, "I've never seen Theodore so enamored with anything before. He doesn't even try to hide what he's doing. I saw him lurking around the doors to the teachers' tower, saying he's going to find a way inside."

Hermione raised a concern, "Are we sure she's even at Hogwarts? Perhaps the depths of the Violet Summer required her to be sent home for proper care from those who understand it better."

Ron disagreed, saying, "She has to be here. Wolfe himself said there's more he has to show us. I believe she's back where they kept her last year."

Harry redirected the conversation, reflecting on Wolfe's reaction when Toni's eyes bled during the demonstration. "Did you see Wolfe's face when he saw the blood? He looked... emotionless. Pale, silent. I've never seen him like that."

Both Hermione and Ron shook their heads, troubled by the image.

Neville came to Wolfe's defense, saying, "He was worried for her. Whatever happened wasn't something they anticipated. He probably didn't want to panic any of you further."

Harry responded sharply, "Exactly. Her eyes bleeding was not normal. He knew it, and he should have explained it to all of us, especially to the four of us. We are her friends, and we deserve to know."

After lunch, the students reluctantly made their way to their next classes, including Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville, who were heading to Defense Against the Dark Arts. They were all anxious about Toni's condition and whether she would be returning to Hogwarts this year. However, when they entered the classroom, they were met with a surprising sight. Lupin was absent, and instead, Snape was seated behind the desk, wearing his usual expression of disdain.

"I guess Snape is stepping in for Lupin again," Ron muttered to Harry, who sighed in displeasure as he took his seat.

The students fell into silence as Snape continued to work on a sheet of paper, not uttering a word. Puzzlement began to spread among the students until they heard footsteps approaching from behind. Everyone turned to see Wolfe, his face expressionless, walking down the aisle of desks and taking a seat at the front. He leaned slightly forward, clasping his hands together as he seemed lost in thought.

"I am sure you all have... questions," Wolfe finally spoke, his voice subdued. Harry noticed Snape glancing up at him briefly before returning to his work. "I'm afraid... I don't have much I can share with you."