Chapter 9: The Viper Pit - Part One

The Slytherin common room lay hidden in the depths of the Hogwarts dungeons, concealed by what appeared to be a nondescript wall of weathered stone. However, this facade was far from the truth. Once the password was spoken, the stone would shift, revealing a magically enchanted stone snake that acted as a doorway.

Toni had arrived at the blank wall thirty minutes ago, unsurprisingly finding Draco absent. She was quite late, and she suspected Draco would be seething with anger, assuming she hadn't shown up. As she sat on the bench she had used during her first year when seeking him, the thought of returning to her own common room crossed her mind. But the lingering anger she felt toward Harry and her uncle still coursed through her, making her hesitate to retreat.

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the sound of footsteps and laughter echoing from one of the nearby corridors. Toni swiftly rose from her seat, hoping it might be Draco, Theodore, or even one of Draco's friends like Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe, or Goyle. However, her hopes were dashed as she saw two unfamiliar Slytherin students approaching the blank wall. One was a short and plump girl with brunette hair, while the other was a tall and lean boy with black hair.

Toni hesitated, unsure if she should approach them and request entry. She wondered if these second-year students even recognized her or knew who she was. Thankfully, she wasn't adorned in any trace of Gryffindor's scarlet colors, but her distinctive hair and eyes would undoubtedly give away her identity as the Rothley girl.

Before Toni could even gather herself to approach the two second-year Slytherins, she felt hands firmly grasping her shoulders. Startled by the sudden embrace, she pulled away and spun around, her heart racing. To her relief, she found Theodore Nott standing before her, wearing a faint smile that hinted at his amusement.

"Scare easily, do you?" Theodore teased, his voice laced with amusement. Toni let out a sigh of relief, her tension easing as she took in his presence.

"What are you doing out here?" Toni asked, curiosity evident in her voice.

"Well, when I saw Draco brooding and scowling at the party inside, my initial thought was that you had changed your mind," Theodore explained, pausing briefly as his grin widened. "But then I remembered you mentioning that you weren't afraid of any of them and that you were determined to go. Being the gentleman that I am, I decided to swing by the Gryffindor common room. I happened to run into Neville up there, and he seemed rather flustered. I inquired about the cause, and he spilled the beans about your argument with Harry over attending a Slytherin party. Apparently, Harry hasn't been able to let it go. I didn't press for further details because, frankly, I didn't care. So, I made my way back down here, and to no surprise, here you are."

Toni listened attentively, her surprise turning into a mixture of gratitude and guilt as Theodore mentioned Harry's lingering upset. Sensing her unease, she felt compelled to defend herself.

"It was hardly an argument," she retorted, her voice carrying a defensive tone.

Theodore chuckled at her response. "You don't have to explain the dynamics of your 'second boyfriend' to me. I found it rather amusing to hear about, to say the least."

"He's not my second boyfriend!" Toni denied sharply, her frustration evident. "And I don't have a first one either. I have no boyfriends. People need to stop throwing words like that around. I don't even understand what that means."

A mischievous grin spread across Theodore's face as he enjoyed the banter. "Well, if that's the case," he began, his tone lighthearted, "can I be the one to inform Malfoy? I get a real kick out of seeing him squirm."

Toni sneered, her glare fixed on Theodore. "Are you going to help me get in, or should I just go back to the Gryffindor common room?" she challenged.

Theodore's grin widened. "No need to get so heated. I was planning to escort you inside the viper pit," he teased, playfully pushing past her towards the concealed entrance. "Come along then, little lion."