Chapter 33: The Third Memory - Part Two

After what felt like an endless journey through the train carts, the Defense Against the Dark Arts students were finally brought to a halt by an abrupt hand raise from Wolfe. Curious gazes shifted past him and soon caught sight of Toni, seated alongside two unfamiliar faces and her father, who had his back turned to them.

Wolfe gave a deliberate pause, his hand still held up before discreetly placing it back into his pants pocket and turning to face the students. His usually concealed violet eyes were now visible to them. Pansy gasped upon seeing his pupils appear to squirm through the violet hue. Many of the students realized they had never had the chance to look into Wolfe's eyes during a memory. Neville remembered this peculiar pupil movement when Toni had saved him from the lake and fought the Dementors. Quickly, it dawned on many of them that this is what the violet eyes of the Rothley did when their Violet Summers were activated. Wolfe seemed amused by the students' reactions but soon cleared his throat.

"There is something I forgot to mention. Let me pause the memory quickly," Wolfe said, extending his hand with a flat palm.

The moving images beyond the train windows came to a halt, as did everything else around them. Harry swore he even saw dust particles suspended before his very eyes.

"This memory, because it combines two minds to create a clear event of this day, might alter your perspective. You may not be standing at the very present, as we have done so far. In fact, you'd be standing here, but you may not be able to move as the memory forms around you. This is actually easier than following everything at all times with our own footing. Things not directly visible on the train or in front of you will still appear as if you were standing there. I will give you an indication when we are to move, but for the most part, this memory should be easy to follow without any further concern," he continued. "Everyone understand?"

Each of the students gave a clear nod to Wolfe, indicating that they understood his instructions. With his hand lowered, everything resumed moving as before. Wolfe led them a few feet closer to the two mirroring booth sets on the train, gesturing for the students to crowd around on either side, leaving a visible division to allow them to witness the memory and hear the conversation.

Harry and Toni moved to the other side, while Wolfe took a seat on the edge of the table before the two. Harry noticed Toni from the previous summer, seated with her sunglasses on, her hair long and wavy with braids done on both sides of her head, allowing half of the undone hair to flow alongside it. It was a new look for her, paired with the shades. Across from her on the aisle seats was her father, Mathias. He had his familiar look, with his black clean suit and rings on every finger, accompanied by his shoulder-length hair slicked back at the top, showing his blood-red ruby stud earrings. His eyes were concealed by the sunglasses that had silver rims around them.

The two individuals sitting with Toni and Mathias were unfamiliar to Harry. Next to Toni was a woman with raven-black hair and dark brown eyes. Her fair and smooth skin accentuated her distinct jawline, and she was dressed impeccably. Harry thought she was absolutely beautiful. Across from her was a very tall man who wore glasses and sported short dark brown hair. His eyes were a unique hue of hazel, and his intense gaze was focused outside the window.

On the other side of them were the familiar faces of Gus Jackbuck, Roan Dovetail, and Remus Lupin. There was another man seated with them, short with brown hair and darker colored blue eyes. Harry quickly assumed this must be Thicket Prott, given the book he was holding, which appeared rather old and worn. Though much of the title was faded, he could see the word "Dragons" clearly labeled.

Harry noticed something very peculiar to him as he observed the memory. Toni, in this particular moment, seemed faintly irritated, and her father's daunting brow was pressed towards her. He turned to look at the present-day Toni, who appeared to be struggling to recall the details of this memory. Hermione, standing nearby, seemed very infatuated with their current Toni, closely studying her. This observation led Harry to wonder if perhaps Wolfe had meddled with the memory. It would be the only explanation that made sense, as the memory clearly took place during the summer before their third year at Hogwarts. Toni wouldn't forget such a significant event so quickly.