Chapter 34: The Third Memory - Part Three

Lupin stood firmly, his wand held high as his eyes darted between the three masked figures closing in on them. Toni could feel the intense heat and rapid heartbeat of Lupin beside her. Her hand clutched her wand, but she trembled with fear, the same fear that had gripped her in the forest. She felt foolish for being so terrified.

Just as Lupin was about to cast the first spell, the masked figures were suddenly blasted away one by one. Bright flashes of light passed by Toni's face as Mathias, Kathryne, and Paul appeared, wands at the ready.

"Sorry for the delay. The trains were quite crowded with these troublemakers," Mathias said calmly, brushing off his suit as he approached the fallen masked figures. Lupin stared at him with disbelief.

"You knew they'd be on the train!" Lupin accused, his anger evident.

Mathias remained silent, kneeling down to remove the masks from each of the intruders. Lupin marched towards him with fury, and Toni felt a shiver run down her spine. Even the warm hand of Kathryne couldn't soothe her shaken panic. The situation felt dire, and she couldn't comprehend why these masked figures were after her.

Toni glanced around at the chaos in the compartment, her mind racing. She couldn't stay here; they were still in danger. But as she tried to move, she realized her legs felt weak, and her mind was paralyzed with fear. She felt frustrated with herself, unable to contribute to her own rescue. Taking a deep breath, she focused on grounding herself, trying to find the strength to stay standing.

Meanwhile, Mathias examined the masks closely, his face clouded with concern. "Death Eaters," he finally said with a heavy sigh. "They must be here to find you, Antonia. We have to get you to safety."

Lupin's eyes widened, realizing the gravity of the situation. "But how did they know? How did they even find us on this train?"

"My father," Mathias said coldly, and Lupin was struck with disbelief. He leaned back against the post and rubbed his tired eyes. "I should have known better. I let my guard down."

"Let your guard down, or allow him to see through?" Lupin snarled.

Kathryne stepped forward, her hand still gently placed on Toni's shoulder. "Remus, you have to understand. We needed to know what they could do."

Lupin spun around, glaring at her with a bewildered look. "What they could do? We all know what they can do! We were all there back in those days! Are you all so mad that you would allow Antonia to be flaunted on display for them all? We all know what he's after!"

"And now we know how far they are willing to go," Mathias said, his voice calm as he rose and turned to face Lupin.

"You haven't changed at all, have you, Mathias?" Lupin snapped. Mathias stood there, his body stiff. "You claim to be a changed man, a better man, but all I have seen from you thus far is the same arrogant arse still meddling with the Dark Arts! Have you completely lost sight of how dire it is to keep Antonia safe? Away from him? Away from You-Know-Who? Do any of you realize this? Am I the only one? Do you even care for the safety of your daughter at all, or-"

"Of course I care for her safety!" Mathias snapped, his anger growing as he stood before Lupin. His nostrils flared, and his breath was heavy, but he quickly composed himself once more. "If we don't know the faces of our enemies, the extent of which they are willing to go, we will go into this war blind and sealed for death!"

Kathryne interjected, her voice gentle yet firm. "Remus, please try to understand. We would never put Antonia in harm's way intentionally. We had to be sure of what we're dealing with."

Toni, who had been listening silently, finally spoke up. "I'm not a child anymore, Lupin. I know the risks, and I won't let fear stop me from being prepared."