Chapter 10: The Viper Pit - Part Two

The group gathered around the coffee table, creating a tight circle. Toni positioned herself closely beside Draco, her eyes briefly shifting between Theodore and Senna. Another surge of nerves coursed through her. Senna belonged to a family that aligned themselves with her grandfather's cause—a cause Toni vehemently opposed. Despite Senna's lack of awareness, she was, in essence, an enemy to Toni.

Apart from Veronica, the others appeared rather unenthusiastic about playing truth or dare. Although they reluctantly agreed to participate, their lack of excitement was evident. Little did they know what was about to unfold during the game. Toni braced herself, understanding that even if Senna started with light questions or dares, the atmosphere would soon grow more intense. She had to strategize her approach accordingly, allowing the tension that hung in the air to build gradually amongst the group.

"Alright!" Veronica exclaimed, taking her position between Toni and Theodore. "Since it was my idea, I'll go first."

"Delightful," Blaise muttered under his breath, eliciting a small smirk from Toni.

Veronica turned to Theodore with a mischievous smile. "Truth or dare?"

"Really? Me first?" Theodore sighed and rubbed the back of his head. Veronica pleaded with her eyes, and he relented. "Truth."

Pansy chimed in teasingly, "How soft of you."

Veronica wasted no time with her question. "Who is the best-looking person here?"

The others rolled their eyes at the predictable inquiry, well aware of Veronica's crush on Theodore. Theodore's gaze briefly flickered to Toni, his initial inclination to name her, but Toni shot him a warning look, silently conveying her apprehension. Between Draco and Veronica, it would be unwise for him to choose her.

"I suppose I'd have to say Blaise, then," Theodore responded, glancing at his friend. The room erupted in laughter, and Veronica masked her disappointment with a smile, grateful that he hadn't mentioned another girl's name. "Is it my turn now?"

"Yes, it is. Ask someone," Veronica replied.

Theodore scanned the table, his eyes settling on Senna. "Senna," he said, a mischievous glint in his eyes. Senna glared back at him, a malicious grin spreading across her face. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," she replied.

"Have you ever broken the law?"

The others chuckled at the question, except for Toni, Theodore, and Senna. Even Draco seemed to focus intently on her, awaiting her response. Toni assumed Draco must have some knowledge of her family's connection to Hiram, given Draco's fathers' friendship. It was safe to assume that Draco knew at least some of the details.

"Once," Senna replied, her voice dripping with coldness as her intense gaze locked with Theodore's.

Goyle, curious, chimed in. "What did you do?"

"I don't have to answer that," Senna retorted sharply, keeping her eyes fixed on Theodore. "If Theo had asked a more intricate question, then perhaps I would have had to divulge all the details. You should learn how to play the game, Nott."

Toni observed the intense exchange between Theodore and Senna, their gaze filled with daring and challenge. The tension in the air was palpable, yet most of the group seemed oblivious to it. However, when Senna's piercing gaze shifted to Toni, she felt a surge of unease wash over her. Mentally preparing herself for whatever might come, she felt her breath falter. In that moment, she felt the reassuring grip of Draco's hand under the coffee table. Her eyes dropped to their intertwined hands, and when she looked up to meet Draco's intense gaze, she found solace in his unwavering support and protective stance towards Senna.