Chapter 40: Sirius Black

"Expelliarmus!" Black shouted, wielding Ron's wand.

Harry and Hermione's wands were swiftly disarmed and confiscated by Black, who had already pocketed Toni's wand. With his eyes fixed on Harry, Black advanced toward them, his wand steady and ready.

"I knew you'd come for them, for your friends, Harry," Sirius said, his voice hoarse. "Your father would have done the same. It was brave of you not to seek help from a teacher. It will make this easier for me."

Toni noticed the impact of Black's words on Harry, triggering a hint of anger as his father was mentioned. In a fit of rage, Harry lunged forward, but Hermione, Ron, and Toni managed to restrain him.

"No, Harry!" pleaded Hermione in a whisper.

Ron stepped forward, his eyes locked on Black. "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too!"

Black seemed taken aback by Ron's comment, his eyes flickering with something Toni couldn't read. He held Ron's wand higher, urging him to step back.

"I would lie down if I were you. You may damage that leg and arm of yours even more," Black insisted, his voice low.

Ron refused to back down. "Did you not hear me? I said you'd have to kill all three of us!"

Black's smile widened. "There will only be one murder tonight."

"Why? You didn't seem to mind killing all those Muggles and Pettigrew... Did you go soft in Azkaban?" Harry sneered, anger rising in Black.

Hermione's eyes widened. "Harry! Be quiet!"

"He killed my mum and dad!" Harry snapped, breaking free from his friends and launching himself at Black.

But Black didn't raise his wand towards him. Instead, Harry grabbed Black's wrist, redirecting the wand away from them. The two wrestled and crashed into the wall, grappling fiercely. Black's hands tightened around Harry's neck, and panic surged through Toni, but without hesitation, a burst of violet light emanated from her, striking Black's side and sending him tumbling off Harry.

Harry seized the opportunity and grabbed one of the wands, pointing it at Black. But before he could act, Crookshanks appeared, digging his claws into Harry's arm. The wand fell to the ground, and Crookshanks retrieved it, retreating towards Black.

"All of you, get out of the way!" Harry commanded, turning to Toni, Ron, and Hermione.

The three backed off, watching Harry's face twist with rage. But Toni hesitated, her eyes returning to Scabbers every so often. The words "Animagus" and "Black" kept circling in her mind.

Black lay sprawled on the floor, his chest heaving with heavy breaths. Bruises marked his eye, and blood streamed from his nose.

"Are you going to kill me now, Harry?" Black asked.

Harry's expression shifted. "You killed my parents."

"I don't deny it," Black admitted, taking a deep breath. "But if you knew the whole story—"

"The whole story?" sneered Harry. "You sold them to Voldemort! What more do I need to know?"

Black frowned. "You must listen. You will regret it if you don't."

"Harry," Toni began, causing Harry to falter briefly. "Put the wand down."

She approached, feeling that something important was hidden in Black's story. She thought of her uncle's doubt, wondering if it was all a lie or if Black truly had lost everything all those years ago. Right now, she worried about what killing Black would do to Harry. Something had been left untold, and Harry needed to listen.