Chapter 9: Well, Why Didn't You Just Say?

"Sooo... I didn't come to the adventurer's guild just to be an adventurer," said Lacrie. She searched her companion's faces for some kind of expression, and finding none, much less surprise, she continued.

"You see, I'm on a mission from my religious order, the Brotherhood of Light. It's top secret! I can't tell you what it is!"

"Okay –" started Brunhild.

"This is a magical artefact tracker and I'm searching for the Draconic Spheres which are artefacts of world-ending destructive power which have the ability to manipulate time and I thought you could help me and I have a budget for expenses and there's a thousand gold piece reward if we do find one," said Lacrie in one breath.

There was a long silence as everyone tried to process what they had just heard. Finally Dandelion smiled. "Well, why didn't you just say?" she said.

Lacrie buried her face in her hands. "I just don't like hiding things from my friends, you know?"

"Would joining you mean we could earn the rest of the money to buy a new sword for Brunhild? From your budget for 'expenses', I mean?" asked Kaergat.

"Oh, definitely," said Lacrie.

Kaergat seemed to seriously mull this over.

"Ooh, potions!" squealed Dandelion. Everyone looked at her. She was rifling through what looked like a wine rack. "Oh, don't mind me," she said, uncorking a bottle and sniffing.

"Leave them alone, Dandelion! They're just wine."

"This one has magical smoke coming off," said Dandelion petulantly, brandishing her find. Purple smoke and sparks erupted from it. "Wine doesn't smoke. Hey," Dandelion looked close at the label, "What does 'Melius abundare quam deficere' mean?"

"Leave it alone, Dandelion! It could be dangerous!"

"Does it mean 'healing potion'?"

"I don't know!"

"I thought you were a wizard!"

"Just because I'm a wizard doesn't mean I speak Draconic –"

There was an explosion. Dandelion was thrown off her feet and hit the wall.

"DANDELION!" yelled Kaergat.

The far door, which no one had noticed being open, slammed. "What was that?" yelled Kaergat. Lacrie ran to Dandelion and cast a healing spell.

"Some furry guy, halfling size," said Brunhild. "I'm going after him!"

"No! Oh, Gott," hissed Kaergat, hesitating for a moment and then running after Brunhild.