29

Gerard's pov

"So, which side do you want?" I asked Laysa.

"I don't really care, so I guess I'll take the left side," She answered.

As both of us were lying down, I couldn't help but think how lucky I was. Lucky that I met Laysa, and that we hit it off so good. A year ago I was sure I'd have no children let alone a daughter. But here I was in a tent with my lovely daughter. Honestly, I couldn't even dream of such a good daughter. She was my everything — without even trying. And even though we weren't connected by blood, I loved her as my own. And more than anything in this world. More than music, and drawing, the guys, Hell even more than coffee. And that was pretty important in my world.

I was pulled out of my thoughts to Laysa tossing and turning next to me. At first, I didn't think she was asleep but the more I called out for her the more the realization hit. I don't know maybe she just slept like this? I've never slept next to her before. But this didn't seem normal. She kept tossing and turning, with sweat dripping from her forehead. I didn't know what to do. Should I wake her up? What a dumb question that was. Even I know that you shouldn't wake someone up in that state. It was pretty clear now that she was having a nightmare. But she kept tossing and turning. And then her eyes flung open. The fear in her eyes as the tears slipped down her precious cheeks was heartbreaking to look at. I was sure this wasn't a regular bad dream, it meant more to her. Had to. There's no way a regular bad dream can get you so shaken up. After a moment of her just staring into empty space our eyes locked.

"Gerard?" A quiet little cry escaped her mouth.

"Yes, darling?" I tried to keep the same tone... to not scare her.

"Gerard," tears that had been slowly dripping were now like running a marathon out of her eyes and down her cheeks as she jerked her body towards me and wrapped her hands around my torso. I was sitting up while her head was on my lower thigh and her hands locked strongly around me. I didn't say anything. She made it clear --by avoiding looking at me-- that she didn't want me to say a damn thing. I respected that, so I just sat there playing with her hair as the sobs took over. Soon enough she was sleeping on my chest. Peacefully asleep as her tear-stained face buried into my shirt. All I could do all night however was wonder what caused this? Has she had these more? While... -- my tears appeared -- while I wasn't there to hold her. I don't know fully what had happened to her in the past but I couldn't shake this feeling that there was something major still stuck inside her that I don't know about. She seemed to get better. But I guess nothing's as it seems. I looked down at her beautiful face. There was something I couldn't wrap my head around. How could someone hurt such a precious thing? Such a cute soul? Such an amazing person? She's so kind I would never hurt her. Well not on purpose.

The morning crept closer as my thoughts slowed down. In the end, I got like two hours of sleep. Which wasn't ideal for the hike we were planning on going. But I knew I could deal with it.

Even in the morning, she didn't seem to want to talk about it. I tried bringing it up but she changed the topic or excusing herself to go and 'use the bathroom' or 'gather the things she needed for the hike' But I wasn't going to push further. So with that, the conversation and curiosity were dropped. I still couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that she wasn't telling me something... major.

All I wanted to do was keep her safe. And make her feel loved.

The hike was ruthless. I hadn't had any sleep and the sun was beaming exactly at us for most of the hike. This didn't seem to bother Laysa though. She was jumping around on bigger rocks, looking for animals and bugs --which she found more than a couple of and insisted on taking them home-- and looking around nature but not really paying attention to her feet. And with that said she tripped over a branch but Ray caught her just in time before she ate dirt in front of all of us.

"Careful over there," Ray said with a soft voice Laysa however muttered a quiet thank you and went right back to her activities. She seemed to really love nature and the hike overall.

Laysa and Ray seemed to get along really well. They'd disappeared yesterday night for a walk without saying a word. Part of me was worried, but I knew that Ray was with her so nothing really could've happened. And to be fair me, and the other guys weren't really paying much attention to them. We were like in our own little world of music, comics, and everything else we liked.

Ray had even proposed the idea of taking her for a day this morning. Which proved that they really hit it off. Even Laysa said once that Ray was really cool to be around.

After the hike, we started on the fire and cooking. Laysa disappeared out of sight for like an hour or so. Probably reading so I didn't pay much attention to it. But after a while she came out of the forest... with a mink. A baby mink. A fucking mink. I had no idea how she caught that but with her wide grin that seemed to reach her ears, she sat down on the bench and petted the animal. Alive animal. Well, to be fair I don't know which would be more horrific her shoving up with a living animal or a dead one. The other guys also looked at her in disbelief. But the biggest surprise lingered in mine. It's not every day that your daughter brings a living mink to you.

"Wha-" Mikey started, but I shut him up immediately. I knew for a fact that she wasn't going to answer our questions. She was too deep in petting and giving love to the animal to even notice us. But for now, my only concern was if that thing bit her or if there was a possible way of it carrying any diseases. I didn't see any blood on her though.

A/n: Look at me go finally updating, sorry it took so long lol.