Charming

1864

I am running, out of breath almost. "Wait! Damon!" He's running away, faster than I can. Father will not be pleased. "Damon!" I call again. He disappears into the trees. I don't think he can hear me. He's much too far ahead. Ever since Miss Katherine came, he's been absolutely obsessed. Sneaking off in the night, and coming back completely out of it.

I follow him through the trees, trying to keep up. I don't think it's right that Katherine should lead my brothers on so. I am to be married soon myself, after all. My suitor courted me properly. And Father approves of him. He's very wealthy, and quite well-mannered. I'm a girl of 23, still young enough to bear children.

I hear laughing in the trees. Damon has Katherine pressed up against a tree, and he's laughing at something she's said. I watch in shock as she presses her mouth against his neck, and then, in horror, her eyes turn black, and her teeth become like a...like a beast! I scream and run away from the terrifying sight. Katherine grabs a hand of my hair from the back, stopping me in my tracks.

She snarls and drags me up to eye level. "Look at me. You didn't see anything. You and Damon were playing a game and you followed him to the forest. You fainted due to exhaustion." Everything goes black as she drops my hair and the last thing I see are her demon black eyes.

~Present~

I've traced Klaus and Stefan's scent to a road. I flagged down a driver and compelled them to take me to a bar in Tully, Florida, highway 41.

I glance toward the driver. Their eyes are red rimmed and their pants are stained. Shit. I check my watch. "Hey." I tap the driver. "How long have you been driving?" The driver makes a strange strangled sound. "5 hours." I sigh. "Where are we?"

"Pensacola." Close enough. "Alright you can stop. Look at me." I grab the drivers chin forcing them to look at me. "You don't remember the last 8 hours. You fell asleep on the job. Drive to a gas station, use the bathroom, buy yourself a new pair of underwear and pants, and then throw the ones you have away. Eat and drink something and then drive back to where you were when we met. Fall asleep."

The driver nods blankly and immediately drives off as soon as I step out. I really need to get a cell phone. Klaus must be wondering where I am. I walk for a while until I come across a woman. I ask for directions and then head off. I come into the bar to see a man held to the wall, with chains. My brother is aiming at him, calculating. I can see the man is in pain. Darts are stuck in various parts of his body.

Klaus sits causally to the side, with his feet propped up on the bar. The rest of people carry on as if nothing is happening. I'd wager they've been compelled. Stefan's signature move. I move to sit down next to Klaus. He turns, noticing my presence."Ah. I was wondering when you might show up. Come to see the show?" I sigh and don't answer.

Stefan walks up to the man. "Ray, this can all stop now. Just tell us where your pack hides for the full moon." He pulls a dart out of Ray's neck, eliciting a groan. "I can't." Ray chokes out. He pants heavily. "Look, I know you live by a code and all that, but see, he's not gonna let me stop until...you tell me. And I do whatever he says." He pauses. "And thats the way it goes around here."

A woman in a short black dress walks up to Klaus. He straightens up, pulling his legs off the counter and leans forward to listen to her. This pulls mine and Stefan's attention. "Hello Mister Klaus." She greets him. "I have more information for you." Stefan stops what he's doing and steps to the side subtly. I know what he's doing. He's listening.

"I just saw their brother Damon at the the farmhouse." My breath catches. Damon? He was right there? But then I realize startlingly, that I don't care. "Well, thank you Claudine." Klaus smiles at the woman. I scoff. I don't know why. "You just tell your friends to keep up the good work."

Stefan walks to Klaus. Klaus eyes him suspiciously. Instead, Stefan says : "My brothers still on our trail?" Klaus nods. "He's getting closer." Klaus turns to leave but Stefan grabs his elbow. "Wait, let me handle it." Klaus looks at him briefly. "And why should I let you leave?"

"Because you know I'll come back." Stefan answers with a roll of his eyes. "Do I?" Klaus questions my brothers loyalty. I can hear it in the undertones of his voice. "You saved my brother's life. I'm in your service." Klaus sighs. "It all sounds so tedious and indentured." He chuckles, gesturing to Ray. "I'll make sure my brother doesn't bother us anymore." He walks past Klaus, and Klaus doesn't move as he walks away. Huh. I guess he does trust him.

Klaus turns to Ray. He rips the chains off him and tosses him into a pool table. "Okay Ray. It's a three-step process. Step one: I want you to drink from my wrist." Ray coughs. "I already told you where the pack is. What more do you want from me?" I watch from a barstool. Stefan usually does all the killing and torturing.

Klaus sighs impatiently. "Have you been listening to a word I've been saying? I have great plans for you." He grunts as he slits a knife across his skin, drawing blood. He grabs Ray's head and forces him to drink his blood. Ray chokes. "You'll thank me later." He laughs breathily. "There we go, attaboy." Stefan comes back in as Ray coughs, catching his breath. "What're you gonna do now?" Ray asks.

Klaus walks around the side of the table. "It's time for step two, Ray." He quickly snaps Ray's neck. "You're back." Klaus addresses Stefan. "Did you doubt me?"

"Not at all. I knew you'd past the test. You still care for your brother, for your old life." Stefan scoffs, smirking. "I don't care about anything anymore." Stefan walks to a table, downing a shot. "You put on a good show Stefan. I almost believe you. Let's hope for your brothers sake, he does." He leans down to Stefans level, talking in his ear. "You never stop caring about family, do you?" Stefan only clenched his jaw.

Klaus continues. "But everyone you feed, the blood makes it easier to let go." Klaus walks away, leaving Stefan. Stefan gets up and walks outside. I don't follow him. I'm not sure if Klaus trusts anyone, not even me, at this point.

Klaus is trying to make more of him, but it won't work. Neither I or Stefan have told him Elena survived the ritual and nor will we. That's why I don't believe Stefan's turned it off. I know my brother. I've seen him with the switch off before, and this isn't it. Klaus calls me over. "Alex." I obey, hopping off the stool. "Keep an eye on your brother. He's up to something." I nod. "Fancy a game of pool?" I start.

"Huh? I mean, I don't know how." He chuckles lowly. "I'll teach you. Come here." I move to the corner of the table. He puts a cue stick in my hands. "Here." He positions my hands. Then he comes behind me, pressing up against my back, causing me to slightly jump. He presses against the small of my back, telling me to lean down. My breath catches as his fingers wrap around mine. He leans down beside me, shutting one eye and focusing on the ball.

I pay no attention to the game as his face is 3 inches from mine, and we're practically sharing the same air. He moves the stick suddenly, hitting the white ball expertly. He smiles triumphantly as the ball hits multiple others, knocking them into the holes. He looks at me, not releasing my hands. My face grows warm as he bumps me with his shoulder, his nose brushing my cheek.

"See? Not that hard, love. Of course, being 1000 years old gives you a lot of time to learn things." He gazes at me, still eye level, for a second longer. Then he releases my hands and stands up. "My turn." He walks around the table opposite from me, and I can't help but think how indescribably charming he is.