Part II, Chapter 1

1864

I wake up, with the sun in my face, groaning. Robert's body is still where it was, in pieces. I suddenly start to sob. The sun is shining in my face, and it's bright. Everything is too loud, too bright. Stefan walks into my peripheral sight. "Your emotions are heightened. You need to feed." He smiles at me.

"What've you done to me?" I gasp. He frowns. "I've made you immortal, of course. Now, you, me, and Damon can be together forever, you just need to complete your transition. Here." He thrusts a woman at me, and she is whimpering. I do not want to be a vampire, a monster. I hate vampires, I fear them. I could never harm an innocent. "No!" I spit at him. "I won't turn." He shrugs. "Okay, but you'll die." I freeze.

"Ooo, did I forget to mention that? If you don't complete your transition by the end of today, you die." I gasp. "You knew...that I might not want to feed? You killed me...knowing that I might be dead for good?!" He shrugs. "I know you'll make the right choice. Damon did. Now, feed." I shake my head. He sighs. "I swear you two are like twins." He grabs the woman, biting into her neck. I shoot up as the scent invades my nose.

"You know you want to." He smiles, pushing her toward me. I waver. But in the end, the darkness wins. I bite into the woman, getting my first taste of blood. And it is exquisite. I drain her completely, crushing her body. Stefan laughs. "Well, maybe you are like me after all." He leaves me alone.

I observe her body. I am a monster now. I want the pain to go away. And just like that, it does. I suddenly don't feel anything, but a strange empty hollow euphoric feeling. It's liberating. I skip down the stairs to where Stefan is feeding. He offers me another woman. I gladly accept. It is better to feel nothing at all than to live in pain.