Ghosts of the Past

"How...how are you here?!" I exclaim. "I don't exactly know, I've only heard whispers. An upset...in the balance." This isn't real. I'm hallucinating from not eating. I lay down in my bed, turning my back to her. When I turn back, she's gone. I sigh, throwing my covers off. I'll feed tomorrow, I decide.

~~~

I yawn, stretching my arms out. The sun peaks through the trees outside of my window. I'm still wearing yesterdays clothes. I open my dresser, pulling out a black Louis Vuitton shirt. I walk in front of my vanity mirror, grabbing a green emerald necklace, and slipping it on. I admire my reflection, and run a comb through my hair.

I walk down the stairs, into my living room. Damon's chained to a chair. I furrow my brows. "What the hell happened to you?" Stefan leans against the wall. "Whatever twisted ripper game this is...leave me out of it." Stefan walks toward him, arms crossed. "I didn't do this." "Quit messing around." "I didn't."

"Then who did?" I ask. Stefan rips off Damon's binds, then leaves. Damon groans. "Yeah, not to worry. I'll just untangle myself." I roll my eyes. The curtains suddenly open, and Damon starts screaming. I rush to him, shielding him. I search blindly for his daylight ring. I find it, slipping it on. "What was that?" I gasp. "I'm assuming the angry ghost of Mason Lockwood."

~~~

We speed up the road, wind flying through our hair. We pull up to Bonnie and Caroline, who crosses her arms. "Whatever you did, you need to fix it. Because I'm pretty sure Mason Lockwood just attacked me." "And I saw my dead best friend last night." I cut in. "Are you sure it wasn't Vicky?" Bonnie asks. "Positive." Damon speeds off.

~~~

He joins Alaric in the bar. I chug a shot of bourbon, grimacing. Not one normal day goes by in this damned town. A man suddenly smashes a shot cup into Damon's head. "God I missed whiskey." He smiles. Then his eyes flick to me. "Damn, the resemblance is uncanny. You're a Lockwood, but you look like a Salvatore. I hear whispers on the other side, you know. Too mad I never met you when I was alive."

I frown. I must've been out of town at the time. "Wait. If you're here...Emma? I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm so sorry for what happened to you, so sorry. I hope you can forgive me." A hand settles on my shoulder. "I already have. And so has he." I freeze. "Robert?" She nods slowly, settling next to me. I watch her in awe. Damon and Mason continue talking, but I pay them no mind. "You're my unfinished business you know. It wasn't your fault."

"But there's someone who needs your help." She gestures to Elena, who's coming out of the bathroom. "But-"No buts. Stefan needs your help. I don't hold grudges after almost 200 years. Go." I hug her quickly, getting off my stool. She smiles reassuringly. I look back one more time as I leave the grille, she waves at me. I don't know if I'll see her again. I wave back, and swallow hardly, following Elena.

~~~
1903

"Lexi!" I gasp. I haven't seen my brothers best friend and my ex in ages! And here she is, in a pub no less! She adjusts her corset, showing more cleavage. I frown. What is she doing here? She snakes around men, slipping their pocket watches and such. One catches her, hand closing around her wrist. "What's a pretty young lady like you doing in a place like this?" He grins, showing his missing teeth. Ew.

I grab his forearm, looking into his eyes. "Let go of her. And maybe consider dentures." I add, glancing at his teeth. Me and Lexi walk down the road, giggling. I loop my arm through hers. It's not out of the ordinary. This decade is not as accepting as others, I've noted. It's not as...open. I adjust my gown, because it's dragging in the mud. "What were you doing there?" I gasp, catching my breath. "Oh, you know, the usual." She flashes me a brilliant smile, causing my heart to skip.