Epilogue

Elena is transitioning. I discovered yesterday after being kidnapped that Klaus is alive. About 4-5 months ago I was in Chicago with my unknown love. Both of his parents came back to kill him. Both failed. A supernatural vampire hunter alter ego of Alaric tried to kill him. He failed. I'm leaving now. I've written letters for everyone. Elena. Stefan. Damon. Bonnie. Caroline. Tyler. Carol. Everyone.

I've always loved to travel. And I always wanted to escape this town. Now I'm doing it. And going to a beautiful city nonetheless. Home Sweet Home, Chicago. Then maybe we'll head to New York. A car horn honks as I gather the last of my belongings. I roll my eyes. "If you don't quit I'm riding with Elijah!" I threaten. Elijah and Rebekah agreed to start over with Klaus, to be a family again. It's amazing after all he's done how much forgiveness your family can have.

Now that he can no longer make any more hybrids, Klaus is truly free to live his life. And that's okay. Because I'm a hybrid. He'll never be alone again. I haul my stuff down the stairs as Damon appears, holding an open envelope. I know it's his letter. He looks at me. "You're really leaving?" I nod. "I am. And I'll miss you. Truly. You and Stefan and..." Tyler. "Carol. My family." He sighs. "Well I guess there's no stopping you. Have a safe trip little sis. I won't tell anyone until you're gone."

I'm touched. Really. I sling my arms around Damon. "I love you Damon." I whisper. "I love you too. So does Stefan." He adds. "Goodbye brother." I say as I pull off. He watches me solemnly as I walk away. I don't look back. Not even when we're out of Mystic Falls. The town I've known my whole life disappears behind me. My love will never waver. An eternal love. A captive love.

And somewhere in the distance, two hearts reunite.