4.

Massey

As I sat at my mirror, pinning up my hair, a familiar knock landed on my door. With full confidence I knew who was on the other side, I shouted for them to come in.

   "Good morning, father." I stood from my bench and made my way over to him with a warm hug. "I'm ready for breakfast."

   He kissed the top of my head. "Wonderful, dear. But, you really shouldn't allow just anyone to walk into your room."

   "As if I didn't recognize my own father," I taunted. We arrived at the dinning hall before even the Starks. Some maidens had come and brought us a large share of food, and just as we were about to begin eating, my brother strode in. He looked as though he hadn't slept in a few days.

   "Seven hells, son. How late were you out?" Brody mumbled something, but my father cut him off. "Never mind, never mind. Best to get it out before we arrive at the capital. Eat up. There's a long road ahead of us."

   I wanted to joke with my family. To poke fun at my brother, who had clearly had too much wine last evening. But, I couldn't help but to allow a wave of sadness to wash over me. This was the last time we would dine together for the foreseeable future. I'd already lost my mother, now my father and twin too. My eldest brother remained home, far too occupied with running our house and making it his own. Though, being far from Gareth was more relief by a mile than it was heartache. In a few hours time, I would be entirely alone. We all sat in front of our plates talking of memories and what we hoped the future would look like for us. My father rested his fork and took our hands in his, holding onto them to comfort us as he spoke.

   "Your mother would be so proud of you both." He continued through a few tears. He was always unashamed of his true emotions, at least when it came to his family. "The way you have come into your own since her passing. You both stepped up. Gareth as well. Massey, you will do well here. You will find a suitable man by the time I return. If not, I will have to choose one for you, is that clear?" I knew what he was implying, so I nodded. "And Broden, you will do well as a squire, and one day, a knight. You must ensure that you are ready to leave in two hours time. Leave us, and go get your trunk together."

   Broden obliged and my father sat with me for longer than an hour. We spoke of my mother. Though, for once, it wasn't about how quickly her illness overtook her. It was of celebrations. The sound of her laughter. The songs she would sing to us as children. How beautiful she looked on her wedding day, and how in love they were every minute since. We discussed my own betrothal and the possibility of me being brought south. My father confessed he wished I were coming along now, if nothing else, just to be by his side. Eventually, it was time for him to leave. We made our way to the horses that were already ready to go, trunks and rations in the carriage. My father and Lord Stark shared heartfelt goodbyes, in which he instructed my father to give Jon Arryn and King Robert his best wishes. Catelyn, Robb, and Sansa were there to see my family off as well.

   "Come here, child." My father pulled me into one last hug. I was accustomed to him leaving home, but this was the first time it had felt so permanent. We told each other how much we cherished one another before he mounted his horse. Then, my brother approached. Now, that was someone I wasn't used to being without.

   "It'll be our first name day apart, then."

   "Aye," my brother groaned. "It will."

   "I don't look forward to it. I'll miss you, Brody." I tried to remain stoic, but the tears welcomed themselves into my eyes nonetheless. I began picking at my fingertips behind my back. A horrible habit, I know, but I couldn't help it once my nerves had kicked in. We had been side by side from our first breaths, and now we were driven apart by our duties.

   He reached out and pulled me into a hug. A rare show of emotion from him that I wouldn't take for granted. I noted how he somehow smelled of home still. When he pulled back, he held onto my shoulders as he spoke.

   "You're going to be just fine, Massey. The Starks are good people. True friends. You'll find your place in no time, as will I." He sounded just like my father.

   "King's Landing won't know what's hit them," I laughed through a sniffle. "You'll be wonderful. Stay safe, brother. And write often."

   "Of course. You behave. Don't forget your manners. Mother would roll in her grave if you ate like you do at home in front of Robb," he replied, trailing off into a whisper for the last bit.

   My jaw dropped open, but I laughed anyway. I missed her, but I couldn't let all memories of her be tainted by her death.

   "She would, wouldn't she? I'll remember my manners. I love you." I pulled him into one last brief embrace as a few of my tears escaped over his shoulder. "It's a long journey. I wish you safe travels."

   "And I love you, sister. Everything will be great. You just wait and see." He walked away to join my father on their horses.

   I looked to the Starks now. "If you'll excuse me," I said, but I didn't wait for a response before heading for my room.

   It was a combination of not wanting them to actually go and not wanting them to see me cry that led me back inside the gates of Winterfell before their horses even began to move. Seeing them actually ready to leave made me question my decision. It made me think that I should embrace a new way of life and ride south with them then and there. But, I stayed strong. I kept my head down and didn't slow on my way back up to my chambers, even when Jon shouted a greeting from across the yard. Stair after stair in this hall felt like mile after mile on a long journey. As soon as I was through my door, I dropped myself face down on my bed and finally allowed the tears to flow. After a minute or so, I felt less bound to explode. That's when I heard a faint knock on my door.

   "Massey?"

   It was Theon. I cleaned my face with the sleeves of my gown and opened the door. I didn't say anything, but he knew.

   "They're gone, then?"

   The tears welled up again with a vengeance.