6.

Massey

The dry leaves below me crinkled and cracked as I brought myself to my feet after my prayer. Sansa still knelt with her eyes closed and hands together at the foot of the weirwood tree. The Godswood here at Winterfell made our's look small. There was no sound of the townspeople or clanging of metal here. It was entirely peaceful, with only the sweet sounds of nature in the air. Rustlings of the tree branches in the wind, a hummingbird hovering near my head. It was no wonder my mother had dreamt of returning. Sansa now pulled herself up as well, and we linked arms as we walked back to the castle.

"I prayed for your brother and father. I know it must be hard, but how are you coping here? On your own, I mean. I haven't seen much of you lately."

"I'm well," I replied with a heavy cadence of gratitude. She was always so gracious. "It's just been more of an adjustment than I thought it would be. Thank you, Sansa."

Sansa carried on walking as she gained the courage to ask me more questions.

"If I may, why didn't you travel south with your brother and father?"

"Well, I'm not sure that there's anything for me there, truthfully. They have a purpose in going. My brother intends to be a knight. Master-at-arms back home, if he has any say."

"He'll make a good knight. He's very brave. And handsome," she added with a giggle.

"I've heard that from many a friend over the years."

"And what about you? You intend to marry here?"

I released a sigh before replying. "Well, I suppose I might."

"To Robb?"

"I don't know, yet. I've just met him. Maybe. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to have you as a sister, anyhow."

——

That evening, Robb had made sure to leave room next to him at the dinner table, which placed Theon and Jon across from me. I pushed my food around my plate while the boys spoke of wars past that I had no interest in. I began to regret not making friends with some of the girls around here. The empty seat beside Rickon was even beginning to look promising.

Robb finally spoke directly to me. "So, I've heard tomorrow is your name day. Is that right?"

"How did you know?" I shifted in my seat to face him and took some bread from my plate.

"Your brother told me before he left. He wanted to make sure at least one person knew."

Sounds like Broden. "That's sweet. I wouldn't want there to be a fuss, though."

"Did I hear someone say name day?" Unfortunately, Jon and Theon looked to me now as well.

"Aye, you did." I shot a look to Robb as he confirmed Jon's curiosity. "But, no fuss will be made. Right, my lady?"

"Right."

"That's rather dull of you," Theon moaned.

"I had not thought it, is all."

"Surely we could persuade you to celebrate," Robb added. Theon agreed, but Jon remained neutral.

I narrowed my eyes at him and pondered for a moment. "Perhaps."

Theon tipped his cup toward me. "That's not a no."

When dinner was through, I parted ways with Robb and Jon, who stuck together down the hallway and out of my sight. Theon, however, accompanied me on a walk through the grounds. We walked and talked until we found a quiet area to sit. We were quite secluded, but I was content with that.