45.

Massey

After they had ridden out, I found the near silence of the yard deafening. As I sat still where Theon had left me, my mind wandered to more than just Rickon and Bran, or how far they had gotten by then. I looked around the empty courtyard and thought of Arya, wondering if anyone had yet heard from her, if she was back at King's Landing, or perhaps somewhere much worse. Perhaps somewhere better, though. Maybe Robb had found her. I thought of Sansa who, as far as I knew, was still under King Joffrey's thumb. I buried thoughts of Robb and my brother. Robb, because I knew that he was safe, and my brother because I knew that he wasn't.

   I traced a playful bite mark Theon had left just below my collarbone and thought back to how comfortable we were together last night. If only it could have been that simple all of the time. I searched my mind for what I'd say to him once he'd returned, how to ask his forgiveness, though I wasn't entirely sure I should have had reason to seek it at all.

Drawing me out of my own mind and bringing me back to reality was the quickly approaching howl of the hounds and the galloping of the horses. I remained frozen to my seat as the men poured in through the gate. Most of the Ironborn, then Maester Luwin. And finally, Theon. My heart pounded inside of my chest, but when he met my eyes with a burning glare, I knew that the hunt for the boys was unsuccessful.

He's come back empty handed. Thank the Gods, he's come back empty handed.

He rode past me without a second glance, while Maester Luwin lingered in front of me atop his horse momentarily. He locked eyes with me as if to assure me that the boys were long gone. I didn't want him to risk putting himself in the way of any of the Ironborn's wrath, so I cut him off with a swift nod.

"I know," I mouthed up at him.

He was satisfied enough with that exchange, breaking from me and presumably returning his horse to the stables. I remained there for a few more minutes, truthfully unsure of where to go from there. That is, until Dagmer came to where I was sitting. He was cold and quite unlikeable, but not particularly rude to me any more than he was to the others. After I brought myself to my feet just before him, he gruffly informed me that Prince Theon had requested my company in his chambers.

I took my time getting there, still thinking of some sort of solution to this mess that, truthfully, he'd created. I was entirely anxious of what version of Theon I may come to meet this time. When I reached our door, I opened it as quietly as I could and slipped inside to find him pacing the floor. I tried to minimize my presence, moving with light feet to stand near the fireplace. He looked to me, his eyes drowning in disappointment. I got the sense that he wanted me to speak first, so I did.

"I would like very much for you to forgive me," I started, the words sour with the betrayal of my private thoughts on the matter.

"Forgive you?" He echoed with a scoff. "You've undone it all, Massey. All of it. That was the last of the leverage we had. You do realize that, don't you?"

"What if it wasn't?" I suggested cautiously. I said the only idea I could seem to think up, even though I knew it was unlikely to convince him to change his course of action. "What if you retreated now?"

"Retreated? Massey, do not be—"

"Theon, no," I interrupted quietly but firmly before moving closer to him. I could smell the perspiration of the hunt on his skin, seeped into the wool of his shirt. "Listen to me. We leave now, and if the time comes, you tell Robb that you let his brothers escape on purpose. Tell him that you led the Ironborn on a ghost hunt in circles to allow Bran and Rickon to safety. Tell him of the position your father put you in. You are torn between your loyalties, and no one can rightfully blame you for that. You can tell Robb how much you regret which side you've chosen, because I can see that you do."