5.

Massey

"Forgive me. I saw you running up the stairs. I just wanted to see that you were alright." He began to back away, pointing to indicate that he could go back down the stairwell if I desired.

   "No, please, come in." He did, leaving the door wide open behind him.

   We stood in silence for a minute before I spoke again. I took a seat in the chair by the fireplace. "I think it's just going to be difficult for some time. I miss home already." I hung my head once again, but I could feel Theon keeping his gaze straight on me.

   "Surely you can go back."

   "I don't think so, but maybe one day. Though, it's not the same, really. I only wish that my mother were still there."

   "What was she like?" Theon questioned, placing himself gently on the edge of my trunks and leaning slightly toward me.

   No one had asked me about her so normally in I don't know how long. Whenever my mother had come up in conversation since her passing, people always changed the subject rather immediately. They were straight forward with with their condolences for my father and brothers, as though it were the simplest of problems a man could have, but they never knew how to treat me.

   "She was my best friend. She was kind, and gods, was she funny. She was a talented baker. We once spent hours in the kitchen in my home trying to perfect these little blackberry cakes for my name day feast. She didn't stop until they were absolutely flawless." I raised my eyes to meet Theon's. "The truth is, every cake she had made was delicious. I was ten, and I just kept insisting upon corrections to the recipe so that our day together wouldn't end. We made those cakes every year since. She never forgot. I miss her more than I can say." I paused a moment to laugh at that reflection. "I don't know why that story was the first to come to mind."

   "What was her name?"

   "Dyanna," I answered with a smile.

   "She sounds lovely."

   "Yes, she was. When she passed it was hard to feel any joy. Everything in my home reminded me of her. And not in the way I'd like to remember her. When my father told me of his plans to take Broden to King's Landing, I was almost thankful. An opportunity to start anew, I thought. I just couldn't leave, not like that. I protested and procrastinated as long as I could, but despite my mourning, I had to leave home. Do you know what that's like?"

   "Yes." He gave me a reassuring smile and waited a moment for me to speak before adding anything on. "You know, I haven't seen the sea in nearly a decade. I miss it horribly, but I know one day I'll return. I'll return to my home, my family, my people."

   "These aren't your people?"

   Theon laughed for only a moment, the creaking of the trunks beneath him the only other sound in the room. "No, they aren't. They've been kind, of course. The Starks are a second family to me. That just doesn't mean I belong here."

   I understood, I thought, so I just nodded along. We had both suffered loss, albeit in different ways. Perhaps there was some connection between us in that way. He was genuine and kind in his approach, a friend in the making. I was grateful that he had taken the time to try to make me feel better, but I suspected I wouldn't feel entirely right again for some time.