9.

Massey

My morning was filled with thoughts of the previous night as soon as I opened my eyes. Still, I readied myself for the day. When I arrived for breakfast a little later than usual, only Jon sat at our table. I approached and took my seat, wondering why Robb and Theon weren't with him.

"Morning," Jon greeted me as I took my seat.

"Good morning, Jon," I shot back with a smile. "Where are the others?"

"They're with Lord Stark. Something about Bran's lessons, I believe. Apparently he's been discouraged as of late."

"Poor boy. He'll get it, I'm sure."

Jon nodded in agreement and we ate nearly all of our breakfast before Robb and Theon arrived. Theon looked agitated with Robb, who laughed at his own jokes as they took their seats.

"Massey, good morning. Are you already finished with breakfast?" Robb asked. Theon said nothing, only glancing at me as he sat down.

"Almost, my lord."

I reached for my last piece of bacon as Robb returned to poking at Theon. He said something rude relating to Theon's family history of rebellion. Theon grew tired of defending his name so often that he just rolled his eyes and kept quiet.

"Oh, Robb. Don't give him such a hard time," Jon teased. "It's not his fault he comes from a long line of Greyjoys overcome with the need to rebel-"

"That's not true," I found myself correcting Jon in the middle of his sentence. All three boys looked at me now. "Lord Quellon stayed out of Robert's Rebellion. He had no desire to involve his people, and he was happy to rule the Iron Islands as they were. It wasn't until King Robert defeated Rhaegar that Quellon's sons finally pressured him into fighting. Balon took over from there. They weren't-" I looked at Theon, who met my eye line for the first time this morning. "Well, aren't all set on rebelling."

Theon raised his chin and gave the other boys a smug look. Jon looked impressed. Robb did not.

"Since when do you know so much about the Iron Islands? Or war, for that matter?" Robb questioned with a laugh, turning his head to face me.

"Just...skimming through some books in the library," I replied, trying my best to deflect from the fact I had spent my night fighting off sleep and learning as much as I could about Theon's home. "Several books. Did you know that there are butterflies on Naath that kill anyone not native to the isle?"

"No. I didn't." Robb gave an intensely inquisitive look before facing away from me entirely. "Anyhow, you can't exactly go against the King, is my only point. It's foolish."

"Our fathers did," I added with a shrug.

I looked across the table at Theon and gave him my best I tried look while Robb and Jon carried on, fully ignoring my last statement.

"If you'll excuse me, my lords, I think I'll venture about the Godswood before settling in with Arya," I said, lifting myself from my seat.

"Oh, yes. Tell me, do you think you'll be able to improve my sister's sewing?"

"I think so, yes. She's certainly more receptive of me than she is septa Mordane. Though, she spent most of yesterday's lesson telling me about the dragon under Winterfell that keeps us all warm," I said, bulging my eyes and pointing at the floor beneath us.

Robb laughed and expressed that he was sorry he had missed me this morning. Theon stuck close to his plate, but Jon offered to escort me to the woods, which I happily accepted. We walked slowly to the Godswood while speaking of his venture into Winter Town. He told me that he and Robb had found few abandoned houses, much to their disappointment. They had thankfully known of a tavern to distract themselves in.