2 a.m. decisions

OPTIONAL PREVIOUS READING: Silver lips pt1 | Silver lips pt2 - It can actually stand alone

❒ genre: Angst

❒ words: 7.5k

❒ summary: In which a kiss leads Chaeri to a forced hiatus and, when she returns to Korea for New Year's Eve, Jungkook decides to visit her

warnings: swearing; heated argument;

❒ pairing: Jungkook x 8thmember!OC

❒ notes: I've had this drabble in my drafts for quite some time but could never find the courage to finish it. I'd really like to know what you think about it, I've put a lot of effort into it 🤧

December 31, 2021

December 31, 2021

Jungkook found himself in a hazy state, caught between the realms of sleep and wakefulness, as he lay back on the ferry that would take him from Seoul to Jeju Island. The gentle rocking of the boat, coupled with the rhythmic hum of the engine, created a soothing lullaby that threatened to draw him deeper into his dreams.

As his eyes fluttered shut, memories intertwined with his subconscious to form vivid images of a recent meeting. It had been almost a month ago that he and Chaeri had sat before their superiors, anxiety coursing through their veins. The atmosphere had been tense, and they knew that the consequences that lay ahead would shape their uncertain future.

In a dreamlike state, the scene unfolded before him. The conference room was cold and sterile, the polished table standing as a barrier between the artists and the authority figures. The managers' stern expressions reflected their disapproval, his head had turned towards Chaeri to catch the emotion behind her eyes.

Had he ever seen her really afraid before? Not that he could remember, and at that moment the resolute set of her jaw was no different. She shifted in her seat, glancing around the room with a cool detachment.

She looked nonchalantly at the people in front of them, as if they would not tell her again that the relationship she was desperately clinging to had to end once and for all.

The thump of a manager's hand on the desk made him flinch in both dream and reality; an overhead image of him and Chaeri locked in a kiss in a dressing room began to form before his eyes.

Anger and shame at the invasion of their privacy brought a warmth to his cheeks.

"Do you have any idea how much we had to pay to keep those photos from getting out?"

Chaeri's delicate hand, adorned with a ring on each finger, swept across his view, taking the photo and studying it. The corners of her lips turned up, "Too bad, we look great in this one" she said in a mocking voice.