Chapter 4

NESSIE

I take a deep breath as I am staring at the big doors. The building is taller than most I've seen so far. At least forty floors. The walls are all covered in glass windows, giving it a fancy look. I can see many people enter and leave through the doors. ID cards around their neck, all dressed professional. I look at my knitted white sweater, the pair of jeans and the Converse with flowers on my feet. My black hair in two braids. The tote bag hanging from my shoulder. I don't look professional. Not at all.

But I have to do this.

I ran away from Adam yesterday. I am not here to ask him to be together. I am here to apologize.

Calling him is too private. So is texting. And it is inappropriate after what I did. Meeting him in person is better. And I know he's usually at his office, so that's where I am now.

As I enter the building, I can already feel some people staring at me. I swallow hard and walk to the reception.

"Good morning, how can I help you?", a blonde woman in a nice black dress asks me from behind the desk. She is wearing a badge on her chest. Paige Miller, Atlas Enterprises.

"Hello", I tell her. If she is surprised to see me here, she doesn't show it. "I am here to see Ad...Mister Cunnan", I say, reminding myself this is his workplace. And that the woman in front of me is his employee.

"Do you have an appointment?", she asks me, checking on her computer. I shake my head. She sighs.

"I am sorry, but Mister Cunnan isn't here. He's out on a business trip. We can provide someone else to help you with your concern or schedule an appointment for when he's back."

I am not sure anyone else can help me with my concern.

"When would he be back?", I ask her. She looks at her computer again.

"It's not decided yet. However, he informed us he will be attending online meetings. We can schedule you for next Friday. He is fully booked until then. However, you will have to speak to an employee before, for us to be able to learn about your concern. We will present it to Mister Cunnan and if he sees fitting to schedule a meeting, we will come back to you with an answer. If not, you will be further assisted by someone else of the company." She already started typing something on her computer. "How would you describe your problem? Is it about our cameras or bodyguards? Do you have a complain about our services or problems with the software?"

I just fucked your boss who might be annoyed as shit at me for running away from him after he confessed his love. Multiple times.

"I'm alright, thank you", I reply. The woman nods, a bit confused.

"Please tell us if you have some problems with our services. Mister Cunnan values our clients' opinions most. We are always looking to progress and get better. Learn from the mistakes. It is part of our motto", she says that pointing to a marble wall with a huge logo of the company engraved on it. It is the writing "Atlas Enterprises" with three latin words written under it. I have no idea what they mean but I nod at the woman.

"I really am alright. I'll send you an email if I'll need help", I add, to make her believe I'm fine.

I'm not. But it has nothing to do with cameras or bodyguards.

"Perfect", the woman says. She hands me a contact card. "Here you'll find my email address and phone number. All the emails have to go through the reception and Mister Cunnan's secretary first before they reach him. It's standard protocol. If you wish to schedule a meeting with him, tell us your problem and we will be back in a short time with an answer. We will bring the concern to Mister Cunnan and if he thinks a meeting is necessary, you will hear from us with a time for the meeting. Mister Cunnan is very busy, so please come at the named time. You can't contact him directly, his contacts remain private. Do you have any questions?"

Apart from who the heck is this guy and how on Earth did he reach this level? Not really.

"No, thank you. I'll contact you if I might need anything", I say.

She nods, polite smile on. I wish her a good day and she responds the same.

As soon as I get outside, I take a deep breath.

I started realizing what I did was wrong. I should have never let Adam touch me. No matter how good it felt.

I was burning. For him. I've never felt that way before.

I am in deep shit.