Chapter 47

NESSIE

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?", I ask Curt as I help him load the truck with the many cardboard boxes. Adam is here too to help us, since my pregnancy is around due date and he is now insisting I am extra careful with carrying stuff that might be too heavy or making too much effort. I look like a watermelon and I keep telling him that, yet he only says I'm the prettiest and that I don't look like a watermelon.

I do.

"I'm going to be alright", Curt answers, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. "I have to do this."

I start fidgeting nervously with my fingers. I know what will happen next. It's time to say goodbye. And I am not good at saying goodbye.

As if he could somehow read my mind, Adam appears behind me and has me in a hug, making my nerves calm down a bit. I could swear I saw pain in Curt's eyes for a second, before he smiles again and looks at us dreamy.

"It was a pleasure to see you again, Adam", Curt tells him. Adam smiles at him and Curt continues: "Take good care of Nessie. She is a treasure."

"Curt", I let out shocked.

He chuckles. So does Adam. "I am going to take good care of her, sir. I promise", my husband answers. I turn my head around to reach his lips and be able to offer him a kiss. Adam smiles now and kisses me more.

As we turn our attention back to Curt, he looks at us dreamy again. He then focuses only on me and says: "I agree with Jenna, Nessie. It was a wonder we got to meet you. I am sure that the bookstore will be in good hands."

I smile shyly. And begin telling him about how I'm going to send money from the profits for the bookstore actually belongs and will always belong to them. I begin thanking them again for offering me this chance and for welcoming me to this beautiful family. I begin... And he stops me. "I don't want money, kiddo. All I ever wanted was for Jenna to be happy. And I know she is, knowing her wonder is taken care of. I trust you, Nessie. I trust that you'll make the right choices and spread the love we share for books. I trust you. And instead of giving me the money, make sure you buy my niece or nephew a nice present every month from Jenna and me. We promised we would look after the baby after all." He smiles at that. I begin tearing as the baby kicks as in response.

"The baby says hi", I tell him, placing my hands on my baby bump. The baby responds again with a kick. I can't stop crying. I take Adam's hands and place them on the spot I can feel the baby on. He smiles too at the feeling and starts crying. Curt too.

"I'm going to love you, little one", Curt whispers, looking at my baby bump.

I smile and reach out to him, letting go of Adam for a few seconds. I hug Curt tight to my chest and whisper: "It really was a wonder I got to meet you. Thank you again for everything."

"Thank you", Curt tells me. It's then he seems to remember something, since he goes to his small brown suitcase and takes out an envelope. "For you", he says, handing me the letter. "It's from Jenna."

I look at it, my hands shivering as I see the handwritten Nessie. I keep it tight in my hands as I offer Curt another hug. "I don't know how I can ever tell her how happy I am we met", I whisper. "She left so fast. I should have been there. I could have told her how much she means to me."

"I know, kiddo", Curt replies. "I know. She left too fast. But she didn't want you to be there. She wanted you to remember her as the happy person she was, not see her weak and dying. But I can tell you she knows. She knows how much she means to you. I know she does." He takes a deep breath. "You meant a lot to her too."

"I miss her", I whisper, tears on my face.

Curt started crying too. "She misses you too."

"I'll miss you, Curt", I continue. "Please don't go. Don't leave me."

"I am not leaving you, Nessie. The people who love us never really leave us. And besides, you can call me at any time. And please send me pictures of the baby. I need to see my niece or nephew."

I chuckle at that. "I will."

As we let go, Curt looks at me one more time and smiles. "Keep the magic happening, Nessie."

I nod. A promise. I cry in Adam's arms as I watch the truck roll down the street, further and further away.