Part 18: New Security

August 2, 9:03am
Los Angeles

Willa unlocked her front door, closing the gate to her property behind her, juggling her phone and tote bag to have enough hands. "I just don't see the big deal," she said into her phone. Sam was on the other end. She had been on the phone with Sam since she left the gym. This conversation was ridiculous.

"I know, hun, I know, but you know how men get when their egos are bruised," Sam took on that motherly tone, "just play nice, will you?"

"I am!" Willa closed her door and kicked off her tennis shoes. "I didn't say a thing!"

"That's the problem."

"Why does the studio care so much if I don't openly support Lex Luthor?" Apparently he, and the higher ups at Goode Studios, had noticed her not answer the question about Luthor's plan for UN Secretary General.

"Hun, he's the biggest investor in Shadowblaster."

Willa stopped moving, her hand still on her lock. "What?" She didn't know that. She knew he gave money, sure, but he couldn't be the biggest investor.

"He's practically a producer. And your contract is airtight, so if they ask you to jump, you jump, got it?" Willa clenched her jaw as Sam explained that in order to get Willa the number she wanted and as much creative input as Willa demanded, Goode World Studios would bankrupt her if she broke contract.

"Why does he care so much what I say or don't say?" Willa grumbled, hanging her gym tote on the coat rack by the door. She didn't listen to Sam's answer. She knew the real one. That Lex was making life difficult for Willa because of a certain ex-boyfriend's activity. Lex had practically told her that at the Space Trek Premiere. He just wanted her to squirm, or maybe he got some delight about thinking of the Justice League watching her support one of their enemies. Gross.

Willa kicked her shoes off then froze, pulling her eyes back to the coat rack. "Sam, I'll call you back, okay?"

"Okay, kiddo. Break a leg tomorrow. Call me if you need me." Then she hung up.

She didn't move, didn't breathe for a minute, tried to slow down the race in her heart, the flip her stomach did. She grabbed the familiar coat off the hangar and padded into her kitchen, silent in her socks. She went to fill up her water bottle at the fridge.

"Do you know how much I pay for my security system?" She kept her voice even, her back turned to the person she knew was in the back of the room.

He chuckled, "sorry."

When her bottle was full she finally turned around to face Dick. He had crossed to lean his back on her dining room table, hands in his pockets. The picture of nonchalance, but she knew better. He was far enough away so he didn't crowd her, didn't startle her. He had hung up his coat so she had a clue he was here. She fought a smile picturing him in here before she got home, trying to find the right place to stand.

"Too much is the answer," she put a hand on her hip, "and you hacked it in, what, two minutes?"

He shrugged, which told Willa it was even less. "I'll fix it," he told her and Willa was sure it would be better after he did.

They just looked at each other for a second, neither one knowing quite what to do. Willa especially. She hadn't spoken to Dick in three years. Hadn't even seen Nightwing in the news much, not that she checked or anything. And now he was here, in her house, looking... she trailed off in her head, catching herself. She tossed his jacket back to him, grateful when he pulled it on, covering his arms.

"I-"

"So-"

They both stopped, smiling slightly. Willa looked away, blushing slightly. She took a drink of water, letting Dick go first. He should, she reasoned, he was the trespasser.