Part 69: Family Dinner

April 29, 6:58pm
Wayne Manor

"You're sure there's nothing I can do?" Willa asked again.

She felt bad, just watching Alfred doing all the work to prepare dinner. Dick didn't even look up from his phone, "don't bother, Alfred doesn't let anyone in his kitchen."

Jason snickered from his place chopping vegetables.

"Anyone except Jason," Dick amended, a little jealousy in there if Willa wasn't mistaken. She smiled and rubbed his back.

Tim was in the living room, his leg propped up and playing a video game. Bruce was in there with him, catching up on some Wayne Tech reports.

The doorbell rang just as Alfred popped the fish into the oven. Willa stiffened slightly at the sound and Dick glanced up, tuned to her as he always was. "It'll be okay," he whispered to her as he helped her off the high top.

When they came into the entry way, Bruce was already greeting her parents, effusing that Bruce Wayne charm to the fullest. Her father laughed as he shook Mr. Wayne's hand and her mother smiled at something he had just said. When her mom spotted her, she gasped and hurried over to take her daughter in her arms.

"Hey, mom."

"Oh, sweetie, it's so good to see you," her mom hugged her tight. "Are you alright?" Her mom held her at arms length, looking for any injuries.

"I'm good, mom. How are you and dad doing?"

Her dad wrapped her up in a hug, holding her tightly. She always felt like a little kid whenever  she came to visit her parents. Protected and smothered all at once. Loved and cherished, annoyed and childlike.

"We've seen you all over TV," her dad chuckled.

Willa cringed, "yeah..."

When her dad relaxed, Willa saw her mom go to hug Dick, but stop at the last second and settle for taking his hand, "good to see you again, Richard."

"You too Mrs. Opal. Mr. Opal," Dick shook her dad's hand. He was nervous, Willa realized. Her parents wouldn't, but she sure did. The fact made her smile.

"We've seen you on TV as well!" Her mom exclaimed, shifting from foot to foot, "lots of...rumors...going around." Her mom's gaze hooked on the faint bruise on his jaw and the bandaid on his forehead. She looked back to fading marks on Bruce's cheek and the cast on his hand.

"We know how the media twists things for clickbait," her dad said, trying to assuage his wife's fears. Willa could tell they both wanted to ask, but were holding themselves back. Out of fear or politeness, Willa didn't know.

Alfred strode in confidently and took her parents' coats, "welcome to Wayne Manor. It's high time we had you two over for dinner. Miss Willa has been such a pleasure, and I'm sure that's your doing." Alfred made her mother blush.

"This is Alfred," Dick introduced, and they all shook hands. "And the couch potato is Tim, who should be setting the table."

Tim hopped up, more agile on one leg than most people on two. He grabbed his crutch and waved, "nice to meet you." He shook her parents' hands. "Alfred made his blueberry lemon cake tonight so I should really thank you."

Her mother laughed as Tim hobbled to the dining room.

"There are more people here than I was expecting," her mom said.

"We hope it's alright," Bruce said smoothly, "we thought it was time you meet everyone."

"I should say so," her dad agreed, "if this is what she chooses." Her dad looked at her evenly, and Willa knew he wished she chose differently, that this is not what he pictured for her, but this was her life, and he left it in her capable hands.