Part 54: Rescue

March 14, 2:21am
Los Angeles

Willa finished tying her sneakers. She loved red carpets, she really did. And she really loved fashion, it was the best part about going to events. She loved dressing up and wearing beautiful clothes. But she also loved changing from her heels to a pair of nice sneakers once the carpet was over and the movie started.

She had found that the best time to go to the bathroom was right after the movie or band or speech or whatever started. Missed the rush of people wanting to go before the show.

She was at the world premiere of Goode World Studio's newest blockbuster, The Great Khan, and her stylist had pulled the cutest yellow mini dress for her. Like a contrast to the Shadowblaster premiere, which was a more dramatic, formal moment, this was just fun. Willa wasn't the star, she wasn't trying to pull the attention, she was just here for a good time. Ryder and Evan were also here, so she was also excited for the after party.

She popped her lip gloss back in her bag and hooked her finger through the straps of her heels to take out of the bathroom with her when a loud pang sounded. She whipped around, but she was still alone.

"Whoa!" She exclaimed as she fell.

*
March 14, 2:25am
Gretchen Goode Residence

She hit the ground hard enough to send her rolling and give her a rug burn from the carpet. She groaned as she pushed herself to her feet. What just happened?

The scene in front of her did absolutely nothing to answer her questions. Aquaman and another hero she didn't know stood across from her, both their faces stricken. She was in a house. An upscale Hollywood home from the design aspects, but-

"Glad you could join us dear."

Willa froze at that voice. Of course this was Gretchen Goode's fault. But this was clearly not the movie premiere, where Gretchen Goode was supposed to be, where she had been at the beginning of the night. The night Dick was going to do a recon...

Willa spun around, her whole body tense. "What did you do?"

The old woman calmly walked past Willa, like she was too inconsequential to even look at. "Your friends Kaldur and Wynde stopped by for a chat and I thought you should join, seeing as you've been so involved in my life thus far." Granny's voice was sickly sweet. The victory in it chilled Willa's blood.

Willa lifted her chin and tried not to shiver. "Where is he?"

Granny chuckled, "I've already told Kaldur and Wynde they could take their friends, because they asked nicely instead of breaking into my home." She said the last part pointedly to Willa.

"Willa is a civilian. She is not needed here." Kaldur's voice was steady. "Take us to our friends."

Granny clasped her hands behind her back. "Oh Kaldur, you don't really believe that."

Granny grinned as another loud pang sounded through the room. Willa was a little more prepared for the bright yellow light of a boom tube opening beneath her. At least this one sunk more slowly.

They sunk through the floor, through blackness, until they emerged in a red box, surrounded by a dimension Willa couldn't quite describe. Yellow and black waves, shifting movements, like there was a film over her eyes. She moved silently around Granny and to Kaldur's side. Him and his friend, Wynde, stepped slightly in front of her.

"Those that require correction and discipline are brought here, to my X-Pit. And these naughty boys required much of both." Her voice glinted with glee.

Willa saw both Kaldur and Wynde stiffen, and tried to stifle her own gasp when she saw Dick and Black Lightning. They were out in the dimension, the X-Pit, their eyes closed, bodies almost vibrating. They were in pain. Excruciating pain, from the looks of it.