24|Ice & lakes

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

I'D ALMOST forgotten how fun ice skating truly was. While I was far from being as impressive as Mara was on the ice, I could get around pretty well. Except for Silas, Mara, and I, the others were struggling. Caio and Mai were holding hands, looking a bit wobbly. They had yet to fall over at least.

Zora was okay, somewhat. She was clearly uncertain in her movements, however she was slowly but surely moving forward. Trying to not look at her seemed impossible. She looked adorable in her attempts to stay balanced and was wearing the cutest skating fit. I found myself smiling down at my feet whenever I caught a glimpse of her.

What did bother me was that she was alone. Mai and Caio had formed a duo. Mara was showing off in front of Silas, who was happily skating after her even if he couldn't keep up. Meanwhile, Zora was alone, mainly skating by herself. She wasn't complaining and seemed mostly focused on trying to stay on her feet, but I didn't like it. I mean, I was by myself too, but at least I could get by without the risk of falling looming over me.

So after debating it with myself for a while, I made myself over to her. She got startled when she saw me, almost falling. The only reason she didn't was because I grabbed her hand before she could. The little smile she gave me after she regained her balance made me realize this was surely a mistake, but I couldn't just let her be all alone.

Or you just want an excuse to be close to her after two weeks of nothing, my subconscious told me and I ignored it. It was only one interaction, it'd be fine.

"Thank you," she said. "I'm not exactly a skating expert, obviously. It's been a while since I was last on the ice."

During winter break a couple of years ago, Zora and I had gone to a skating rink. I'd skated a few times alone since then, but Zora hadn't. That time, I'd held her hands, helping her skate around the rink. It was a lot of fun, but for some reason, we'd never gone back.

"I remember."

My hand was wrapped around hers and I was afraid to let go. Partly because I didn't want her to fall and partly because I didn't know when the next time I'd touch her would be.

She laughed. "You had to guide me because I was shit."

"Well, you were managing. You still are now. I've seen a lot worse."

"It's so not fair, you got super athletic genes or something. Like all sports come so naturally to you," Zora complained with a little groan.

"You're artistic instead. Like Mai, who by the way just fell over."

Zora looked over her shoulder and spotted what I just had, a Mai on the ground with Caio next to her, both of them probably having toppled over at the same time due to their joined hands. I let a little snort out at the sight and so did Zora, returning her gaze to me.

"I'm proud to say I have yet to fall over."

I shrugged. "Don't jinx it."

She shot me a pointed glare. "You jinxed it by bringing up jinxing."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Yeah, yeah. But what I'm saying is you and Mai got your arts and I've got my running and all that. Speaking of Mai, have you seen her paintings? I was at Caio's place a few days ago and he had some of her paintings on his walls. She's really talented."