He is gone forever

Directly after season 1 episode 3

Pov Wilhelm
"Erik is dead." I hear my mother say and suddenly everything is very far away. He can't be dead. It's Erik. That must be a mix-up.

"Wilhelm? Are you still there?" "Yes" I say hoarsely. I feel like crying, but somehow no tears come. My throat is tightening more and more and breathing is becoming more and more difficult.

"Go pack your things, someone will pick you up soon" I nod. The next moment it occurs to me that she can't see me at all. With great effort, I manage to get out a quiet "Okay". My mother says goodbye with the words: "See you later" and hangs up.

I slowly put the receiver down and gasp. Erik's dead. He's dead. Shit. That means I'll be crown prince. That doesn't make things any better. I do not want that. I want Erik back. I turn and run.

Through the door, along the corridor, through the next door, until I finally arrived outside again. Fresh air. Finally. I drop onto the stairs and try to breathe.

When I look up, I realize that everyone is staring at me. A few, for whatever reason, have tears in their eyes. Yes, the crown prince just died, but still. Others look at me with pity.

I bury my face in my hands and try not to think about it, but I can't. It just does not work. There's always Erik and crown prince, taking turns. After a few minutes I get up and go to my room.

I just don't want to see anyone right now. As I pack, the first tears roll down my cheeks. It is getting more and more.

I will never be able to replace Erik. Never. He is irreplaceable, neither as a crown prince nor as a person.

He was my best friend. He was the only person who really knew me. And now he's just gone, forever. I will never be able to see him again. Never be able to hug him again. No more gossip with him about any other princes. That all will never happen again. And that hurts. It hurts a lot.

A while later, there's a knock at my door. "You could go to the palace now" "I'll be right there" I quickly grab my bag and walk to the door. In front of it is a bodyguard that I've seen before. Great. Now this starts.

On the way out we meet a few classmates and teachers who express their heartfelt condolences. I nod my thanks and move on. In front of the entrance, Oskar hands me a hoodie, at least that's what I think his name is. .

"Put that on and keep the hood up. There's a ton of people out there waiting" I do what he says, even though it really annoys me. Even if my brother dies, they won't leave me alone.

I take a quick look around again. A few meters further away stands Simon. He looks at me with a worried look. He's the first to do it. He's the first person who's probably really interested in how I'm doing. I force myself to smile briefly.

As we walk outside, I pull the hood down as low as I can. Oscar was right. There are a lot of people outside. At least half are reporters. Annoyed, I walk to the van that is waiting with the door open.

Simon keeps texting me, but I ignore it. I'm just in no shape to text him back right now. Since I've been home, I've actually only been lying in bed and trying to distract myself, which doesn't really work that well.

Erik will be buried in the next few days and I will be crown prince. I have no strength for it. I have no strength for anything. I'm nothing Erik. And I won't make it. He always said I just had to pretend I was someone else, which he always did well, but I didn't.

I don't like to pretend and I'm not good at it either. Erik could, I can't and I never will.

My door opens and inside is Mom. "Wilhelm" she says quietly and sits next to me on the bed. "You miss him, don't you?" I nod. "You still have to stay strong. After his funeral you have to take over the duties as crown prince. You are aware of that?" I nod again.

I don't really understand her. Sure, we're a royal family and that needs to be continued, but her son passed away and all she's thinking about is that I have to take over his duties. I've been thinking about it the whole time, but it's kind of different. I don't know exactly why, but I know that.

She carefully brushes a strand of hair away from my face. "I'll go again then" she gets up. "There's food in ten minutes" she walks out.

Did she just walk in in earnest, just to tell me food is coming soon and I'm going to be crown prince? However.

I take my phone and read through Simon's messages. When asked how I'm doing, I answer with a short,

- Good

Which of course is not true. Then I turn off my phone. There's always just one thought in my head, Erik. Erik is dead.

He is gone forever.