fifteen

Once we got back to the castle I went into my chambers and started packing. My mind was flooded with thoughts about why Nicolas would support me no matter what I chose.

I had the power to destroy his country, and he's still talking about supporting me? Although, I do want my father to know about this, I don't want any harm to come to Nicolas, which is what will happen if I wage war.

I wish there was a way to get revenge on the king and queen of Scotland without harming Nicolas nor his sister. I've become fond of his sister with my time here.

Such a shame two beautiful souls came from those cruel people. Does ruling do that to you? Must you be cruel to support your kingdom?

Either way, I will not become cruel. My court, my country will love me. I will support them in every way they need.

I shut down my thoughts when I hear a knock at my door. "Come in." I say, calmly. Nicolas steps in my chambers.

"Mary, I'm sorry for not giving you an answer on why I would support you through anything you choose."

I'm not sure what to say, so I just nod slowly. "I shouldn't have just sent you away to pack. Now, I want to tell you the truth." I raise an eyebrow. "What truth?" I ask.

"The truth is, I have feelings for you. I keep trying to deny it because I'm so set on hating royals. What your father did to my real mother is absurd, and for that, I swore to myself that I'd hate royals." My heart hurts when he mentions his dead mother, It's a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone.

"Mary, we will be wed someday, I cannot be wed to you and hate you. I will be the husband you wish for and deserve, so I must come clean about my feelings." Everything was moving so fast, I didn't know how to react.

"I.." I start, but stop when I realize I don't know what to say. I didn't know if I could trust him, what if his step mother convinced him to go along with her plan? I couldn't trust him.

I take a step back and sigh. "Nicolas.." I start. "You do understand how hard it is for me to trust you right now, right?" I ask, hoping he understands.

Nicolas nods. "Then I shall spend every second of my day letting you know that you can trust me."

I give him a warming smile, satisfied with his answer. Nicolas bows his head and walks out of my chambers