twenty eight

"Your majesty. King Nicolas has requested you in the throne room." The servant bowed and walked off.

I was still getting used to me being called queen and Nicolas being called king.

I always knew we'd become rulers but I didn't know it'd happen this fast. I don't even know what I'm doing.

I step on the cold stone floor to get ready, normally I'd have Julie get me ready, but since I'm in Scotland, Julie is not here.

A blonde girl hurries into my chambers to get me ready. She brushes out my long hair and puts a couple of braids in it.

She was so gentle with my hair. "Is this alright, your majesty?" She asked.

Honestly, I didn't really care what my hair looked like so I just nodded. Once I approved, she moved on to my makeup.

She did a light makeup look on me and pulled out a dress from my chambers.

It was a green dress. It looked boring but after the servant added all kinds of jewels it looked okay.

I picked out a pair of green heels to match and I stepped in front of the mirror.

My mind was still clouded with the fact I met a little girl yesterday that was living at court with no parents, I felt horrible.

Did King Andrew and Queen Louise even care? Hopefully, I'd see her today on my way to the throne room.

The throne room is where us royals meet most of the time.

"Queen Mary, it's time." The servant whispered and I stepped out of my chambers.

I decided to go the long way, the way that passes by the music room. I wanted to see if Agatha was in there.

To my surprise, once I got to the music room, she was. "Good morning, Agatha." Agatha turned around and bowed.

I said yesterday there was no need to bow, but I didn't have time to stop her today. "I'm on my way to the throne room, would you like to come?"

Agatha got a smile on her face and nodded. I took her hand and we walked out of the music room.

"Your majesty, you are not aloud to hold hands with non royals." A guard said.

"I am queen, I shall do whatever I wish." I said, turning back to Agatha and smiling.

Agatha and I walked to the throne room together. Two guards opened up the doors to the throne room and we walked in.

"Good morning, Nicolas." I continued walking with Agatha towards him.

"Good morning, who's this?" Nicolas looked down at Agatha, who was slightly hiding behind me.

"This is Agatha. I met her yesterday, her parents sadly passed away." I said, looking down.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Nicolas bent down to Agatha's level. "Go into the garden and pick some strawberries for yourself, Queen Mary and I need to have a chat."

Nicolas stood up as Agatha was walking away. I quickly turned around and called for a guard. "Accompany Agatha in the garden." The guard nodded and walked away with Agatha.

"What is it?" I asked as Nicolas pulled a letter out of his pocket.

"Mary, it's your father. He had a jousting accident."

"Is he okay?" I quickly say in terror.

"He passed away."

My heart dropped. "What?" I say. Before I knew it, my legs gave out and Nicolas was sitting beside me, supporting my head.

There were guards next to me too, making sure I was okay.

How could this have happened?