Chapter 2

Later, while Delilah laid on a chair by the pool, Elizabeth came and laid next to her. Delilah, without opening her eyes, knew it was her.

"So many places to lay and you have to do it next to me?" Delilah asked, annoyed.

"Don't think I like it. I just need to talk to you, it's important."

Delilah opened her eyes and sat up straight in the chair. Then looked into Elizabeth's eyes. "So, when is it final? The divorce I mean."

"I'm so sorry, there will be no divorce. Sorry to disappoint you." Elizabeth said with a smirk.

Delilah sighed and laid back down annoyed. "So, what the hell is it you need to speak to me that is so important?"

"You have to swear you will not tell your uncle. He made me promise I wouldn't say a word."

"What is it?"

"Do you swear? I know you like telling your uncle everything."

"Depends what it is, Elizabeth. I'm not going to keep a secret from my uncle if it hurts him."

"He's sick, okay? Like really sick."

"You're lying." Delilah said, standing up and walking away.

"If you don't believe me, watch him carefully. He's in constant pain."

"Why are you telling me this? Why isn't he the one telling me?"

"He doesn't want you to know yet. But I think you have a right to know."

"Since when do you care about me?"

"Believe, I don't. But if I were in your shoes, I would like to know."

"How sick is he?"

"He's dying."

"How much time?" Delilah swallowed back her tears.

"The doctors don't know for sure. He just wishes for one thing."

"What is that?"

"To see you wed."

"I'm not even dating at the moment, Elizabeth."

"You're kidding, right?" Elizabeth asked, looking at her. Dark red hair, green eyes. She had everything to catch a man.

In high school, all the boys went after Delilah, not her. How could she say she wasn't dating if she was always surrounded by men?

"Elizabeth, I've only had one boyfriend in my life, and that was George, in high school."

"Whatever happened to him? You guys seemed pretty serious."

George Lyons, football quarterback, the guy all the girls swooned for. "He didn't feel that serious about our relationship. He went off to college and I never heard back from him again."

"Bummer, I was rooting for you guys."

"No you weren't, Elizabeth. How many times did I catch you flirting with him?"

"Guilty. But, you always have men following you around. You're telling me that you haven't given a chance to any of them?"

"They don't stir anything in me."

"What's to stir, Delilah? You just need a man to fulfill your needs. Any man can do that."

"I'm not like you, I need something more, something real."

"Look, Ni wants to see you wed before he dies. I'm sure you want to make his wish come true."

"But what am I supposed to do? Get the first guy I see on the street and ask him to marry me?"

"Look, tonight we are going to John's house for dinner. Steve, who I'm sure you remember, just came back from college and wants to see you. He was always so handsome. I don't know, try something with him."

"Steve Dayton? You must be crazy. He has quite a reputation. Plus, I've always seen him just as a friend."

"Think about your uncle, Delilah."

"I'll think about it, but I don't think Steve is the answer."

"You do that. Who knows, maybe he is the man you've been waiting for. You haven't seen him since we graduated highschool four years ago, he might've changed. At least give him a chance. If you really don't think it could go anywhere, I'll help you find someone."

"Why? We don't like each other. Never had, never will."

"I'm doing it for your uncle. It would break my heart if his wish doesn't come true."

"Do you really care about him?"

"Of course I do. I wouldn't have married him if I didn't."

"We'll see. I need to start getting ready for tonight." Delilah waved and walked into the house.

"Oh, you're so screwed. This thing with Steve will happen one way or another. You made my life miserable all through high school, you don't deserve no happiness." Elizabeth laughed.